PDA

View Full Version : How long before I can get a data only plan on my iPhone?

simonm
14th September 2013, 04:26 PM
This is something I've thought a lot about. I don't want a mobile number. Some might ask why but the reality is I hardly even ever use it.

Most if not all my friends have iDevices with iMessage and FaceTime. I notice that FaceTime will have an audio only option in iOS 7 for VOIP. Other people that don't have an iDevice I could communicate with similarly using multi-platform apps like Skyke or Whatsapp.

The one downside is a loss of ability to occasionally call shops and stuff, but this can usually be resolved with a bit of forward planning. That and you need a number to fill out a lot of online forms but you can always enter fake numbers.

Has anyone else thought about or wondered whether mobile numbers are becoming redundant?

The_Hawk
14th September 2013, 05:34 PM
If you get a "data only" sim for your iPad it comes with a phone number anyway (that's just how things work). I don't see any reason you couldn't throw this into an iPhone and be off.

You can even send/receive SMS and probably make calls although they would no doubt be at terrible rates. (assuming the carrier doesn't block all voice, but then why would they when they can charge you if you make a call??)

Deanodriver
14th September 2013, 07:05 PM
If you get a "data only" sim for your iPad it comes with a phone number anyway (that's just how things work). I don't see any reason you couldn't throw this into an iPhone and be off.

You can even send/receive SMS and probably make calls although they would no doubt be at terrible rates. (assuming the carrier doesn't block all voice, but then why would they when they can charge you if you make a call??)

This.

I'd have to say though, that such a plan tailored to smartphones would be unlikely. Partly because data is the big money maker for the telcos these days, and partly because I'd imagine that any phone plan would be required to retain the ability to call emergency numbers.

mmulhern
15th September 2013, 11:35 AM
look at Amaysim's pre-paid "as you go" plan.

amaysim SIM card - Mobile Phone Plans (http://www.amaysim.com.au/mobile-plans.html)

Check call rate (that you say you don't want to use anyway), and add a data pack that suits your usage.

If you are happy with the Optus coverage, then it might be what you are looking for, just use the loaded credit to buy data packs, top up as required.

julee86
15th September 2013, 11:49 AM
I'm using Amaysim, i don't really make calls (viber, whatsapp, work phone). I pay around $9.90 for data and sometimes $2 or so for calls/sms for that month (parents, they don't use whatsapp!). That's it. Pretty good deal but they charge their data by the MB.

tortoise128
16th November 2013, 04:31 PM
Great suggestion. For a low call user like my wife who mainly needs data, this is an ideal solution.

Byrd
16th November 2013, 04:51 PM
Another tightarse here using Amaysim's $9.90 plan for 90 days. I tend to just reach the $9.90 after 90 days; this is interspersed with heaps of iMessage texts, several quick calls and accessing the web every now and then. As the data is counted per MB of use, make the most of it by sending lots of iMessages at once, not every hour or so as they will be counted as separate MB of data.

I recently had an issue with excessive data usage (~ 50MB/day, on wifi at home, made no sense); Amaysim's online helpdesk could not help me. They did however give me a 1GB extra allowance that month to sort it out. Then all of a sudden, my credit went back to where it should have been - the same thing occurred with my mother-in-laws iPhone and Amaysim. Their customer service isn't too bad for the price.

JB