PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion on iPhone 5C?

Frankwer
9th September 2013, 06:04 PM
iPhone 5C is said to be come out with very low price. What's your opinion on it? If someone is planning to buy an iPhone, would you recommend this cheap iPhone?

Mullo
9th September 2013, 06:11 PM
don't think $400 - $500 is going to be cheap exactly ?

davemc
9th September 2013, 09:02 PM
depends on what size a 16gb will do the wife. Although second hand iphone5's go for $500~ so have to be cheaper to get a new plastic one

MissionMan
13th September 2013, 11:57 AM
It's overpriced for the market. Apple really needed a $300 phone. I wouldn't buy the low end, I don't need to with contracts but China and other places needed it.

I'm beginning to think Apple has lost the plot a bit. The phone cycle now demands a new look every 12 months (not just a gold case) and a processor upgrades every 6 months. If it's a simple processor upgrade, I can't see how 6 months would be an issue and Apple could quite easily offer new case designs with similar internal workings. People want to see something nice and shiny and new, not something that has nice shiny new interiors but looks the same.

davemc
13th September 2013, 03:11 PM
Yes the new case every 2 years compared to lots of shines android models.
Honestly I was mainly looking for cheaper this time :) prob go second hand iPhone 5 now

davebullard
13th September 2013, 09:31 PM
Totally agree with the last two posts. The c should have been a lot cheaper, and I like some of the changes but there's nothing to make me want to upgrade my 5. In fact, I bought my daughter a 5 today because it was cheaper than the c and she preferred the look.

kerr
14th September 2013, 01:57 AM
The 5C is the worst iPhone Apple have released. They should have stripped features from the 5 that would divide people in two. Those that don't want whiz bang features and would buy a 5C (my Mum), and those that want the latest and greatest and would never consider a 2nd rate smartphone (me).

I was going to get my Mum a 5C, but I wouldn't dream of doing so for $739. Features an older person such as my Mum wouldn't care about: retina screen, iSight or FaceTime camera quality, capacity, LTE, screen size, Siri. Apple could have tried to release a cheaper iPhone but the fact is they simply didn't want to.

Chundermuffin
14th September 2013, 03:57 AM
Apple isn't in the lower end of the market for a fairly obvious reason: there's less money in it. Having a cheaper device (even though it would sell well) would mean lower margins and hence goes against Apple's business model. It would likely cannibalise sales of higher end phones as well. This is the same reason Apple never even tried to compete directly with netbooks, although we now know it was also because the iPad was imminent around that time.

I'm a bit confused by all the vitriol over the price of the 5c. Apple never said it would be cheaper, only the rumours did. In the US it's the same price as the 4S was before the announcement, which falls in line with what they've been doing since the 3G was released. In Australia the prices have gone up pretty much in proportion with the dollar going down since this time last year. This sucks, of course, but did people expect Apple to absorb the cost of the falling dollar?

I was going to get my Mum a 5C, but I wouldn't dream of doing so for $739. Features an older person such as my Mum wouldn't care about: retina screen, iSight or FaceTime camera quality, capacity, LTE, screen size, Siri. Apple could have tried to release a cheaper iPhone but the fact is they simply didn't want to.
The case you state is highly personal. It boils down to, 'Why don't Apple make this exact phone with this exact price? Then I'd buy it.' If your mum doesn't need any of the features that are what make an iPhone, an iPhone, why are you looking at getting her one? It sounds like any sub-$50 handset you could get from Woolworths would do the job.

applefanboy
14th September 2013, 07:30 AM
I think its pretty clear cut how Apple is attempting to differentiate between the two markets. Apple will always be at the higher pricing point because thats who they are and what they do, the iPhone is still I believe the best phone on the market. It gives a lower entry point to those who cant do the larger price and a better phone than the old 4s. I say good work.

djos
14th September 2013, 08:04 AM
I like the 5C, I'd buy it for my wife as i think it will be more durable for her (my old 3GS is still nigh on indestructible despite it now belonging to my 2 year old), but id get myself a 5S.

doofus
14th September 2013, 08:47 AM
Next years product lineup will make more sense if they go iPhone 6, 5s, 5c. At the moment the 5c seems to be in a badly priced place for the Australian market

jsarchibald
14th September 2013, 09:26 AM
You get what you pay for. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I buy them because they are easy to use, have not failed me yet, and connect with all of my other gadgets. Watch the Keynote on the launch if it doesn't make sense, they have done a lot more than just a processor upgrade or a coloured case.

entropy
14th September 2013, 07:07 PM
Next years product lineup will make more sense if they go iPhone 6, 5s, 5c. At the moment the 5c seems to be in a badly priced place for the Australian market
I suspect that the 2014-15 line up will not look like that, and the 5s will no longer be built. I speculate this is the start of differentiation in the iPhone range.

There will be an iPhone 6, an iPhone 6c (with 5s internals plus minor improvements), an iPhone 5c (with limited range of colours) and speculatively, maybe a fourth iPhone with the same internals as the 6c but differentiated some other way (like a 4.8 inch screen or something like that).
The iPhone 6 will be the flagship phone like the 5s will be this year. It will be the one having all the cool new, experimental technologies getting broad testing before filtering down to the other iphones (and other iOS products) in the subsequent years.

Some of the tech of the 5s will find its way into other future iOS products. Ask yourself why the A7 is 64bit? What would need more than 4GB of RAM? Not a phone for the time being. But what would say, a new Apple TV do with a 64 bit chip? Hmmm.
And the M7 coprocessor? It would be the bee's knees in something worn on your wrist, don't you think?

i think we just might be seeing the unfolding of a long term plan of class leading innovation and execution.

Erwin
15th September 2013, 12:35 AM
Check the following article out which I thought was very insightful:

The iPhone is Apple Doubling-Down On What It Does Best

http://stratechery.com/2013/two-minutes-fifty-six-seconds/

djos
15th September 2013, 04:12 AM
Check the following article out which I thought was very insightful:

The iPhone is Apple Doubling-Down On What It Does Best

The iPhone is Apple Doubling-Down On What It Does Best (http://stratechery.com/2013/two-minutes-fifty-six-seconds/)

Good article, nails it rather well - this article is also a good explanation of the reason the 5c exists:

Two factors reveal Apple (http://www.zdnet.com/two-factors-reveal-apples-real-mission-with-iphone-5c-7000020669/)

Geoff3DMN
15th September 2013, 10:06 AM
Well whatever people may think of the iPhone 5c I just ordered a bright green iPhone 5c one to replace my SO's iPhone 4 (with cracked screen and dodgy home button).

We both would have liked it to be a bit cheaper (I was expecting $600 to $650) but the only other alternative is $529 for a new iPhone 4S from Apple which seems even worse value (they really should be about $425).

Estimated delivery date is quoted as the 20th September.

kyte
15th September 2013, 01:16 PM
If it were $100 cheaper, I probably would have preordered a white one (but not one of those revolting cases)... but, with the 32GB being the same price as the 16Gb 5S, its a no sale here. Not sure which way I will jump, when I have saved enough.

zed
17th September 2013, 01:24 PM
Good article, nails it rather well - this article is also a good explanation of the reason the 5c exists:

Two factors reveal Apple (http://www.zdnet.com/two-factors-reveal-apples-real-mission-with-iphone-5c-7000020669/)

I'm not really sure about the 5C. Only $100 cheaper than the 5S yet much lower in the spec dept. Additionally the 5 is still for sale & essentially the 5C is a 5, but with a plastic casing. Can't see there being that much demand for them, but then I'm continually surprised with how stupid Joe Public can be sometimes.

TJA77
17th September 2013, 01:54 PM
I notice the Apple 5c cases are available on the store now..... 1-2 week delivery. 5s case still showing unavailable

djos
17th September 2013, 06:10 PM
Almost no one buys phones outright, most ppl buy on contract so I don't see the small price difference being an issue.

They'll be a bit cheaper than the 5s on contract and appeal to the younger folks migrating from iPod Touches.

zed
19th September 2013, 11:34 AM
appeal to the younger folks migrating from iPod Touches.

That's the theory..

Geoff3DMN
20th September 2013, 11:12 AM
My SO's green iPhone 5c arrived this morning on schedule which is the 1st time I've pre-ordered an iPhone and it's actually arrived in the morning of the day it was supposed to. During past releases they have either arrived late in the afternoon or not until the next day.

I suspect this reflects the relative lack of interest in the 5c but as long as the SO is happy I'm content :innocent:

melb_mac_guy
21st September 2013, 12:34 AM
i have both a 5C (work phone) and 5S (personal phone) they are both nice to use.. have to say the 5C is a nice phone to hold and is very nice to use. Think they have been poorly marketed.. and priced.. as they are quite a good phone for those wanting simple yet fast

kerr
21st September 2013, 02:47 AM
Given the price point, I don't think the 5C appeals to anyone who wouldn't have considered purchasing an iPhone before. I don't see how the 5C will gain Apple many new customers. Given that the 16GB iPhone 5 was $799 last year, if that wasn't something that appealed to you last year, then I don't see how 12 months later a 16GB iPhone 5C for $739 would appeal to you. Surely plastic and colour wouldn't have changed your mind. You could have done what I did, put a red plastic cover on an iPhone 5.

If you like the 5C and buy it, good luck to you, enjoy your new phone. To me, the price point is all wrong. I would never buy a C, not for $739, $539 or $339. The 5C is not for people like me. I believe the 5C is for people that specifically want a colourful plastic exterior and are prepared to pay an extreme premium for it. If $739 is justifiable for a 5C, then the 16GB 5S should retail for over $1000.

Sekelani
23rd September 2013, 07:21 PM
THe iPhone 5c is aimed at children. And maybe for people that want a wider variety for what they buy. It's nothing special I guess. I would NEVA consider getting the 5c. Tim Cook said himself " we never thought about making a cheaper iPhone". People got confused about this concept of a " cheaper iPhone because of the fact the iPhone is plastic.
I personally don't like it because I had the iPhone 5, and most iPhone 5 users wouldn't find it necessary to upgrade to what? A different could?
That would be ridiculous.
But I see where apple is coming from.
I bought the iPhone 5S 64gig white silver and stood in line at the apple store.
It was worth the upgrade.
Just my two cents on what I think about the 5c

MrJesseRoss
23rd September 2013, 11:39 PM
Did you stand in line or did you get your maid to do it for you?