PDA

View Full Version : Software advice: CAD app for mac?

Disko
2nd February 2004, 02:36 PM
Hey,

I'm looking for a CAD application that will run on 10.3.x.
I have no idea which apps are available. Which ones are the best?
Can someone provide links also?

elvis
2nd February 2004, 02:54 PM
I just happen to work for an architecture firm. How handy :)

What sort of CAD are you after? 3D modelling? traditional 2D architecture/drafting? artistic? engineering?

Disko
2nd February 2004, 03:00 PM
yes, handy indeed.

I'm planning table layouts for websites. Not anything extreme - it'll just save me using a ruler and pencil on paper.
I think its easier to plan the layout of a site in photoshop and then draw the table layout onto paper so you get a different perspective of things. Dreamweaver seems to just mess things up, so yeah - basically i'd like a CAD program thats like drawing on paper. :)

elvis
2nd February 2004, 03:27 PM
so are you talking more page layout?

scribus is GPL, and probably available through fink by now (i'll check). indesign and quark are non-free but good. adobe golive is said to be good, but i've never used it myself.

Disko
15th July 2004, 03:25 PM
Ok - a friend of mine is wanting to get a 17" laptop, and he needs a CAD program to run on it. He's an industrial designer, and mainly focuses on designing houses etc. What would be the best CAD app for that field?

elvis
15th July 2004, 04:00 PM
If Architectural CAD is what you want, ArchiCAD is what you need.

ArchiCAD 8 on MacOSX is now full OpenGL accellerated, and allows 2D and 3D design with some very seamless rendering abilities. Highly recommended for small practices.

Disko
15th July 2004, 04:22 PM
Thanks elvis. :)