PDA

View Full Version : Mixed up chargers - please help!

DebB
3rd August 2013, 04:07 PM
Hi there,

We have several iDevices in our house now, going back to the first ipod touch, and including an iPad, iphone 3G, iPhone 4S, iPod touch 4th gen. Trouble is, they all have a white wall charger and USB cable... I know there are lower powered ones, but now all our chargers have been mixed up. How do I tell which charger is meant to be used with which device? Some are marked 'iPod usb charger', '5w charger' and some have no markings. Is there a web page out there to help identify them? I have googled to no avail.

Thanks
Deb

nibbles
3rd August 2013, 04:24 PM
Is there one marked 10w? That'll be the ipad one, apart from that they should all be the same in terms of output, I.e 5v 1A for the iPods, iPhones and iPad mini and 5v 2A for the iPad.

Oldmacs
3rd August 2013, 04:26 PM
I'm not 100 percent sure how to indentify them however I know that the iPad's adaptor should have 10 watts on it somewhere. As far as I know the others should all be 5 watt chargers ( I think the 5 watt labeled ones come with iPhones) or iPod USB charger ( for the two iPods).

soulman
3rd August 2013, 06:20 PM
Is there one marked 10w? That'll be the ipad one, apart from that they should all be the same in terms of output, I.e 5v 1A for the iPods, iPhones and iPad mini and 5v 2A for the iPad.Confirming this. The newest iPad chargers are 12W and are marked "12W USB Power Adaptor", but the older ones say 10W. All the others are the much the same, though they have a range of descriptors.

Oldmacs
3rd August 2013, 06:25 PM
Oh yeah forgot that!!
Is the 12 watt one sold with the ipad mini as well? I know the ipad 4 has the 12 watt one :)

glacierdave
3rd August 2013, 07:31 PM
A charger designed for the iPad will be 10W or 12W (newer ones are 12W, older ones came with 10W). If it's less than this, it's not designed for an iPad.

All chargers, no matter the wattage, will charge an iPod/iPhone. Only the higher rated ones will charge an iPad.

Some of the older ones may not show a wattage rating but will have a description (e.g. "iPod USB Power Adaptor") which pretty much clears up what they're supposed to be used for.

Good tip is to write on them with texta (or use a label maker) so you remember which one goes with what device.

David

soulman
3rd August 2013, 08:20 PM
All chargers, no matter the wattage, will charge an iPod/iPhone. Only the higher rated ones will charge an iPad.I've charged iPad 1s & 2s on a 5 watter. It's much the same as doing it on the computer - a bit slow.

nibbles
3rd August 2013, 08:41 PM
Yes, a 5w charger will charge an iPad but if you're to continually do it the life expectancy can't be guaranteed considering you're using it at maximum capacity where as it should only be used at 75% most of the time (not sure how Apple engineers design them but this is a general rule of thumb for transformers).

glacierdave
4th August 2013, 08:26 AM
I've charged iPad 1s & 2s on a 5 watter. It's much the same as doing it on the computer - a bit slow.

This will typically only work if the iPad is sleeping or off. If you try and use it while charging it probably won't. There's just not enough current available.

David

DebB
5th August 2013, 02:09 PM
Thanks - that cleared it up! I wasn't sure if there was any difference in the iphone/ipod chargers. I will be writing on them!

Brains
6th August 2013, 08:58 AM
All iDevices will take advantage of extra charging current if available.

A USB port can only provide 500 mA (2.5W), the stock iPhone charger provides a full 1A (5W) from its USB-socket, and the iPad chargers 2.1A (10W for iPad and iPad 2) and 2.5A (12W all current iPads).

Apple emboss onto their chargers the model-type and wattage; if there is no text visible anywhere on the charger, it's not an Apple original.

JimWOz
6th August 2013, 11:12 AM
long time no see !

It's good to see you here again Brains.

midnight_e
6th August 2013, 12:08 PM
It's good to see you here again Brains.

Was thinking that also, a nice surprise at Mactalk, when there aren't many these days !