PDA

View Full Version : Interest in beta testing a new app?

scruff
3rd September 2004, 11:44 PM
Heya all,

I was just wondering whether anyone would be interested in beta testing an application I've written? It's a small application used to encrypt information -- written mainly because I can never remember all the passwords that I have (my bank account has THREE access passwords)!

The idea is that you have a master password that can unlock your 'vault', and your data is securely stored in the vault using AES128 -- just like FileVault. The data it can store is very simple (no individual files, RTF- formatted text including images), but it is good enough for copying information from emails etc. and storing securely.

It hasn't been released yet (and will most likely be a freeware app), but I have a simple description and some screenshots here (http://www.geocities.com/dagronf/vault/) if your interest is piqued.

Cheers and thanks --

Darren.
dford_au-code *at* yahoo *dot* com

dev_enter
3rd September 2004, 11:59 PM
Doesn't /Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access already provide this kind of service? :huh:

p996911turbo
4th September 2004, 12:34 AM
Yeah, alright, I'll give it a go. I'll put my friends on to it to see if they can break it... :P

scruff
5th September 2004, 02:58 PM
> Doesn't /Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access already provide this kind of service?

To some degree, yes. However, using a file (or vault) means that you can put it on a USB token, or your iDisk, and have access to it anywhere. If you happen to forget your password to a vault, you can specify an optional method of accessing the vault through asking a series of questions (vault- specific).

Also, the keychain access 'note' method doesn't allow formatted text or images, so copying information from an email loses formatting etc.

Anyway, I'm sure that there's probably a lot of things that I'm not aware of with Keychain. And also there's probably XXX application available that does similar things (I know there is, because I was looking for a similar application and was annoyed that the only ones I could find seemed to cost $30US -- hence writing one myself). But, here's another (free) one :-)

scruff.

ashish
13th September 2004, 08:58 PM
yep, ill help out by testing as well. i have a friend who has been telling me to use one of these for the multiplicity of passwords that i have, and occasionally forget.