PDA

View Full Version : More Final Cut Pro Woes!

rudiger53
15th January 2006, 11:21 AM
Ok, I bought the upgrade for Final Cut Pro to version 5 so it would work on my new Powermac G5. I installed it, and it ran brilliantly the first time. Now, everytime i try and run it, all i get is a black Screen with the cursor in the middle. I cant get out of it, and the only way to get back to the computer so i can use it is to quit the application. I tried updating it to the latest version, and updtaed everything, but i still have this problem. My mac has the new Geforce 6600 and a 20' Cinema Display if that helps

Currawong
16th January 2006, 06:51 AM
I'd try repairing permissions in disk utility to see if that fixes anything. Also, have you got any third party stuff that modifies OSX in any way?

Cudex
16th January 2006, 03:07 PM
By default FCP checks the firewire connection for a device and will prompt if not found - you can turn it off in prefs. Is your prob with a cam connected and on?

(but your description sounds bit more serious)
Do you have a prob with imovie running or any other FCP Studio apps e.g. Compressor?

If you're desperate to edit, you can get your old copy of FCP 4.5 to install and run on the new Dual Core Macs, and I presume earlier versions - I had 4.5 l+ Compressor v1.2.1 installed until I rectified a problem with Compressor V2.

FCP 5.0.4 fine with my GeF 6600 and PCI Express G5.

Bolt
16th January 2006, 03:20 PM
Sounds like an odd issue.

Personally, if you have the CD keys from your Previous Final Cut Pro, then I would completely uninstall FCP 5, and then reinstall from the FCP5 DVDs. When you enter the FCP5 serial it will ask you to input the previous version's serial number.

I go for the complete reinstall right away simply because as an editor, I'd be scared that I'd get it running now only to have something happen right as my deadline is approaching.

I'm assuming you've run software updates and are running FCP 5.0.4 as well, but incase you haven't, update it. Might save you the hassle of having to do the reinstall.