PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air battery

verden01
4th July 2013, 08:00 PM
I bought a new Macbook Air on Sunday less than a week ago. When i checked the power stats it says Cycle Count = 4 which means it has been charged 4 times although i have only charged it once, any ideas?

Oldmacs
4th July 2013, 08:36 PM
Was the box completely sealed? My Macbook Pro came new with only 92 Percent battery health :/

verden01
4th July 2013, 08:47 PM
Was the box completely sealed? My Macbook Pro came new with only 92 Percent battery health :/
Yes it was completely sealed.

verden01
4th July 2013, 09:30 PM
It also had 100% battery health.

Oldmacs
4th July 2013, 10:09 PM
Thats really really weird!!

nibbles
5th July 2013, 08:51 AM
Was it new or refurbished?

verden01
5th July 2013, 04:00 PM
Was it new or refurbished?

I rang Apple Support who checked the serial number and said it was new not refurbished.

lawrencium
8th July 2013, 05:38 PM
Since it is under two weeks old, would it be possible for you to request an exchange, or at the very least a Genius Bar inspection?

I'm not sure of how Apple deals with these types of issues, though.

glacierdave
9th July 2013, 08:45 AM
(NOTE: This is speculation, I don't actually KNOW the truth here...)

I once toured the Acer manufacturing facility in Sydney. They were quite proud of their burn-in area and showed it off. Imagine 30 or 40 mobile shelving units each holding 20 or so laptops all running burn-in tests and reporting results back to a dedicated testing server. They were running comprehensive tests on all facets of the computers prior to boxing them up for sale.

Perhaps Apple has a similar regimen that means that run batteries through at least one complete discharge/recharge cycle.

I've never actually checked charge cycles on a brand new out-of-box Mac laptop so I don't know if it's normal for them to have a couple/few charges on them already but I'd liken it to cars I guess. Even when you buy a brand new car you don't get one with zero k's on the clock. Anything under about 30km seems to be generally acceptable.

Realistically, a few charge cycles doesn't mean much in comparison to the expected life of the battery. Apple claims 1000 charge cycles before a battery reaches 80 percent of it's original capacity. That's 2.5 years (or more) of roughly daily charge cycles.

(Ref: Apple - Batteries - Notebooks (http://www.apple.com/au/batteries/notebooks.html))

David

verden01
9th July 2013, 11:04 AM
Since it is under two weeks old, would it be possible for you to request an exchange, or at the very least a Genius Bar inspection?

I'm not sure of how Apple deals with these types of issues, though.

I'll take on board what dave replied and just keep my mba as everything is running great. An exchange one could have some problems with my luck.