PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the best budgeting app

TheAppleGenius
30th June 2013, 08:06 PM
Like the title says, I'm after something that is easy to use and understand.

Ideally something to budget for week/fortnight in which you can set how much pay you have to work with at the start of each week/fortnight.

For example, you enter $1000, and it tells you how much of that is already allocated due to regular expenses.

I've searched high and low and so far have come up with nothing that quote suits my needs, any help is much appreciated.

palais
1st July 2013, 09:39 AM
Have you considered an online one?
https://getpocketbook.com/ is pretty good. Connects to most Australian banks.

TheAppleGenius
1st July 2013, 09:44 AM
I'd feel a bit iffy with them having all those details though, do you use it yourself?

Kellycvieira
1st July 2013, 10:10 AM
I've actually met with the Pocketbook guys - they're lovely people. They have agreements with the banks that they list so you can be sure they've gone through the appropriate channels to get that data and store it. They've also got plans for an app sometime soon.

If you want something a bit light on the personal details side of things, Moneysmart has a basic app that let's you track your spending and to set limits. It's a bit light on the features side of things, but it gets the job done. Lemon Wallet is also a good option- it has OCR so you can snap a shot of your receipt and it automatically picks out the expenditure to add to your budget tracking (but it does let you input a bank account to rack deposits/withdrawals - not sure if it's required or optional, but id can be handy).

Edge
1st July 2013, 02:11 PM
Pocketbook doesn't seem to have access to CBA, ANZ, NAB or Westpac.

I've no doubt the banks are blocking such services. I was occasionally using ANZ MoneyManager (based on the Yodlee backend) as an alternative, but I stopped using because it was unreliable and ugly as sin, as well as being unintuitive.

Now the NAB has a built-in service. It looks neat, but has very few useful features. You can't make custom categories, nor can you import any other non-NAB accounts.

Lemon.com did not seem like great value.

TheAppleGenius
1st July 2013, 03:56 PM
Does anyone know if there's something similar for combank?

TheAppleGenius
1st July 2013, 03:58 PM
Also i signed up for that pocket one but didn't give bank details yet but it seems like there might be no point if it won't work with COMMbank

palais
1st July 2013, 06:44 PM
I use Pocketbook with ANZ? And yes, I found the ANZ money manager thing to be a bit crap too.

teamshaw
2nd July 2013, 08:41 AM
Does anyone know if there's something similar for combank?

Signed up to Pocketbook yesterday and it is working flawlessly with CBA. Fantastic app.

Kellycvieira
2nd July 2013, 09:51 AM
Pocketbook lists Commbank, Westpak, Bankwest, ANZ, NAB, St. George, Bank of SA, Bank of Melbourne, ING and UBank, also 28 degrees cards. And I know that they're always trying to get even more banks on board too.

What do you mean that Lemonwallet isn't great value? It's free ...You can store rewards cards and the like which is somewhat handy, but I just really like the receipt scanning feature (which pocketbook's app will have too to some extent, so ...).

TheAppleGenius
2nd July 2013, 10:41 AM
I emailed the pocket people and they said as far as ComBank goes, it doesn't work with "CBA's token login" but that's it. I'm not sure exactly what that is tbh

simonm
2nd July 2013, 12:26 PM
I tried budgeting, but then I decided I don't wanna! :moneymouth:

There are thousands of budgeting apps on the App Store. Having an app could be useful because the idea is that when you're out and about you simply enter what you spend and when so you can track your spending habits.

TheAppleGenius
2nd July 2013, 01:20 PM
The problem is that most budget apps are over complicated and messy, with the basic functions cluttered by said over-complications

TheAppleGenius
10th July 2013, 04:13 PM
I've come up with my own idea for a budgeting app, I'm going to find out more about having it developed and just make one myself lol

paronga
10th July 2013, 05:09 PM
why not use a spread sheet?
number has a built in template that's pretty good.
what sort of features are you looking for, just curiously?

TheAppleGenius
10th July 2013, 07:13 PM
It's not quite what I'd need. Closest app so far is MWB+ but it doesn't record transactions, if you have used that one you will know what I mean.

TheAppleGenius
10th July 2013, 07:14 PM
MyWB+*

paronga
10th July 2013, 08:28 PM
so could you point out the features you're looking for?
i use a spread sheet and am doing fine....
do you know how to use numbers?

TheAppleGenius
11th July 2013, 08:22 AM
I know how to use it to a point, but it's not enough, not simple enough at least. Well it you have used MyWB+ it js simple and the amount of money you are working with can be changed at any time. It just doesn't let you track your transactions

teamshaw
11th July 2013, 10:59 AM
I know how to use it to a point, but it's not enough, not simple enough at least. Well it you have used MyWB+ it js simple and the amount of money you are working with can be changed at any time. It just doesn't let you track your transactions

Pocketbook does exactly this, and it tracks your transactions.

TheAppleGenius
11th July 2013, 12:30 PM
I've been using that but it's pretty much the same as using COMMbank kache except being able to see what you have been spending on previously, I'm more after something to track your future spending

par3182
11th July 2013, 05:08 PM
Moneybook is pretty simple and has a gauge-type thingy on its overview page that shows how close you are to zero for the month.

paronga
11th July 2013, 05:14 PM
i'm so flippin confused about what features you actually want.

what do you mean track future spending?! how does it know what you're going to spend? I understand periodical things like monthly phone bill, rent/mortgage etc, but without actually buying food/petrol/bills etc how is it meant to know until you spend?

i see the appeal of an app that keeps track of your transactions from your bank, which means you've got some really accurate data, but other than that, i'm confused what you're looking for.

If/when you get your own app running, let me know!!

TheAppleGenius
11th July 2013, 05:42 PM
Yeah my bad, hard to explain. I'm definitely looking into get my eon app developed, it's actually something that no one else has done so I'll definitely post here when I know more 👍

PocketbookBosco
12th July 2013, 04:39 PM
Hi all. It's Bosco From Pocketbook. Hoping to reach out and get involved in the conversation here -

@TheAppleGenius - wondering what you're after. Do you want to share with us :)

PocketbookBosco
12th July 2013, 04:40 PM
Pocketbook does exactly this, and it tracks your transactions.

btw - we got a really impressive review from CNET midweek - wanted to share with you all - Pocketbook app provides all your budget needs - Mobile Apps (http://www.cnet.com.au/pocketbook-app-provides-all-your-budget-needs-339344819.htm)

ajbeardy
12th July 2013, 05:35 PM
Hi all. It's Bosco From Pocketbook. Hoping to reach out and get involved in the conversation here -

"I've actually met with the Pocketbook guys - they're lovely people. They have agreements with the banks that they list so you can be sure they've gone through the appropriate channels to get that data and store it. They've also got plans for an app sometime soon."

Hi, can you confirm if this comment is correct. This is what ANZ states about aggregators.

"Unless the account services are provided or referred to you by ANZ, ANZ does not authorise, promote or endorse the use of account services offered by parties other than ANZ to access your ANZ accounts (including account aggregation services, such as may be provided by other financial institutions)."

TheAppleGenius
12th July 2013, 07:36 PM

I'm not sure my ideas would fit into the pocketbook format. Although I do love the idea of PocketBook, and am also in fact using it as we speak. If my ideas were implemented into something like PocketBook, it would almost require it to be redesigned, or to have a separate menu/app. Definitely love the app though, there's just more that I need and with these ideas I've recently had, I think it will be extremely helpful not only to myself but also anyone who is not very good at budgeting :)

TheAppleGenius
12th July 2013, 07:38 PM
With that being said Bosco, I think that having the live bank balances would definitely help with this idea/app

paronga
13th July 2013, 01:50 AM
I'm calling troll!
why do you refuse to say what feature you're looking for
could you please describe it?

I'm not sure my ideas would fit into the pocketbook format. Although I do love the idea of PocketBook, and am also in fact using it as we speak. If my ideas were implemented into something like PocketBook, it would almost require it to be redesigned, or to have a separate menu/app. Definitely love the app though, there's just more that I need and with these ideas I've recently had, I think it will be extremely helpful not only to myself but also anyone who is not very good at budgeting :)

TheAppleGenius
13th July 2013, 04:03 PM
I'm calling troll!
why do you refuse to say what feature you're looking for
could you please describe it?

I'm curious, what kind of troll would this be?

kyte
19th July 2013, 07:52 AM
Late to this conversation: When I was still using a PC, I was also using a budgeting app called Simply Budgets (http://www.simplybudgets.com.au/). How it worked was, you would feed it all of your expenses, bills, etc... everything... and it would predict where your finances would be, up to a year in advance. It could predict shortfalls and give you plenty of time to organise. It would also allow for payments, savings etc. When I switched to Mac, I was desperate for David to make a Mac app but without interest and support from the community, he did not. I would buy something that emulated that experience in a heartbeat. SB has become a lot more than it was when I bought it, complete with marketing shit, but the thing is, it worked, and I have never seen another app which approaches its functionality in any way... certainly not on mac. I'm considering rebuying (my old licence no longer works for the new version) and running it in a VM. The old version works reasonably well in crossover, as well.

[Edit] actually I wont be rebuying... its gone beyond what it was, with a price to match. Mine cost me $19.95, iirc, and now its $129 and looks like its gone some unnecessary bloat. So, looking for a mac prog, similar. I currently use Chronicle (http://chronicleapp.com/) to keep tabs on bills and its very good, but not as good as SB was, because its not as far reaching (dealing only with bills, not savings, shortfalls etc, its not built for that kind of calculation).

TheAppleGenius
21st July 2013, 11:38 PM
I looked at that Simply Budgets app and it sounds/looks good but unfortunately doesn't seem to offer a trial.

At the moment I'm looking into getting my own app off of the ground, mockups, functions etc. once I figure out where I'm going with it I'll post an update here

kyte
24th July 2013, 08:25 AM

Pocketbook would be good, but sadly, it does not have access to my bank accounts. Only my CC which is with commbank. My bank is a building society in Newcastle, its pretty big, but without a connection to that, Pocketbook is useless.

Edge
24th July 2013, 11:20 AM
Pocketbook lists Commbank, Westpak, Bankwest, ANZ, NAB, St. George, Bank of SA, Bank of Melbourne, ING and UBank, also 28 degrees cards. And I know that they're always trying to get even more banks on board too.

Missed that when looking at their website. Not sure where I was looking.

That was before the iPhone app was released, so might check it out now.

What do you mean that Lemonwallet isn't great value? It's free ...You can store rewards cards and the like which is somewhat handy, but I just really like the receipt scanning feature (which pocketbook's app will have too to some extent, so ...).
Free does not equal value.

Storing rewards cards is a pretty useless feature, IMO. (I keep photos and details of my cards in 1Password, which was a one-time purchase and is highly secure.) Account tracking costs money (Lemon Expense) and the feature set has shifted, too. Receipt scanning is useless if the data is not connected to anything. At USD$60 per year, that is not good value in my book.

I'm off to try Pocketbook.

PocketbookBosco
31st July 2013, 01:45 PM
Pocketbook would be good, but sadly, it does not have access to my bank accounts. Only my CC which is with commbank. My bank is a building society in Newcastle, its pretty big, but without a connection to that, Pocketbook is useless.

Hey Kyte, is this Newcastle Perm? We're getting folks to vote so we can prioritise - https://getpocketbook.com/addmybank

PocketbookBosco
31st July 2013, 01:51 PM
Storing rewards cards is a pretty useless feature, IMO. (I keep photos and details of my cards in 1Password, which was a one-time purchase and is highly secure.) Account tracking costs money (Lemon Expense) and the feature set has shifted, too. Receipt scanning is useless if the data is not connected to anything. At USD$60 per year, that is not good value in my book.

I'm off to try Pocketbook.

Our view is that while things are less valuable separately, bringing it together has value.

For instance one example we think of is that - if we can start to tell our users:
- Earn more points on your rewards card, because you're planning to fly at the end of the year.
- Because savings from converting rewards > savings on your fuel purchases at the slightly cheaper petrol station.

What do you think?

And you're right, receipts makes no sense if there's no context. That's how we think about our product and the linkages in between.

Let me know you go with trying us! :)

angusg
13th April 2014, 05:11 PM
I used to use Jumsoft Money, I stopped using it because I lost about 2 months of data due to an iCloud sync issue but I believe it's a lot more reliable now that they use Dropbox as their sync engine. I've been meaning to set it up again but haven't had time. Depends on how much you trust Dropbox too I guess.

Edit: sorry, just realised the date. For some reason it just randomly showed up in my Tapatalk feed.

TheAppleGenius
13th April 2014, 06:57 PM
I still get the notifications and I'm still always happy to hear about other budgeting apps that could possibly be more suitable for my needs, I'll check it out thanks

kyte
13th April 2014, 07:28 PM
Deleted.

angusg
13th April 2014, 10:19 PM
The biggest problem I had when looking was lack of systems that had iPhone, iPad and Mac Apps (which is why I settled on Money). I know there's more (and probably better) apps that have all three now, but I paid a considerable amount (compared to regular app prices) for the full suite. It makes no sense to change now.

TheAppleGenius
27th April 2014, 08:25 PM
Cheers for the tips, I'm happy to look into any that people reckon are good. Hopefully I can get my own one off of the ground soon

ozron
20th May 2014, 12:38 AM
This thread has been going for a while, but as it hasn't been mentioned I'd like to add YNAB (http://www.youneedabudget.com/) to the equation. It's been around for ages and is a very mature product. But more importantly, it is based on a great system of budgeting which we've found works extremely well. We love it and wish we'd found it years ago.

I understand that most people have their own ideas of how to run a budget, but YNAB utilises a system which simply works outstandingly well when you follow it. It is the first budget application which has allowed us to get our finances under control. And it comes with outstanding support and training, with how-to videos and docs, regular webinars and more.

Rather than prattle on here I highly recommend you spend at least 30 minutes browsing their website and intro videos. They explain how it works and the benefits it provides better than I can, considering our domestic financial controller is the expert on the system in our home.

It also comes in PC and Mac, and iOS and Android flavours. It has a huge, happy user base which speaks volumes about how well it works for lots of different people with differing situations and requirements. You can often pick it up on sale or find voucher discounts for it.

Highly recommended A++.