PDA

View Full Version : Permissions problems

kmcgreg
29th June 2013, 12:14 PM
I used time machine to switch to a new imac with mt lion. My old imac was using snow leopard.
I had a few problems. Firstly in the process it said I could not use the same account name so I created a new one.
Now many applications say they cannot write to my external raid drives as it says I don't have permission to do so.
How on earth do I fix this?

Secondly I use a Canon MG8100 printer/scanner. I cannot get this to work..the install says apple has no driver. However I can print via the network if I plug this into my old imac that I want to decommission from use.
Bit of a mess.
All help would be appreciated. This upgrade has not been seamless nor fun. It look me ages to get iPhoto to work.

Cheers

Kevin

bennyling
29th June 2013, 12:30 PM
To fix the permissions problem on the external drives: right click, get info, and in sharing in permissions change where it says "me" to read and write. Click the gear, apply to enclosed items. Might take a while depending on how many items are in there.

Not sure about the printer though. What do you mean by "install says Apple has no driver"? Checked Canon's website?

leon
29th June 2013, 03:27 PM
http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0300393301.html

Try here for printer.

kmcgreg
30th June 2013, 04:30 PM
Thanks I still can't write to the drive when adding items with applications eg adding songs to itunes which lives on this drive. it is making me mental! The name labeled (me) says read and write.

kmcgreg
30th June 2013, 04:43 PM
is it possible to rename my hard drive to the original name i had on my old iMac ?

rpjallan
30th June 2013, 05:37 PM
Try this:

This how you repair/reset a user's permissions and ACLs in Lion. You need to run the resetpassword utility.

Restart Lion holding down CMD+R.
This brings up the Repair Utilities screen. On top, in the Menu Bar click the Utilities item then select Terminal.
In the Terminal window, type resetpassword and hit the return key.
The Password reset utility launches, but you’re not going to reset the password. Instead, click on the icon for your Mac’s hard drive at the top. From the drop-down below it, select the user account where you are having issues.
At the bottom of the window, you’ll see an area labeled ‘Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs’. Click the Reset button there.

The reset process takes a couple of minutes. When it’s done, quit the programs you’ve opened and restart your Mac.

Works the same in Mountain Lion.

kmcgreg
30th June 2013, 06:13 PM
thanks - all working now!