PDA

View Full Version : Whats your next phone going to be?

zed
27th June 2013, 01:08 PM
My contract is up, so I'm looking for a new phone. Well I'll be waiting for the 5s/6 to come out and see what that is like before deciding. I'd prefer to stay with Apple, but from what I've picked up from the Iphone rumour mill (which is usually quite accurate), I'm getting pretty underwhelming vibes. Same size, but with a better camera..? I don't think that's going to cut it. It needs to blow the opposition out the water. And speaking of water, both Samsung & Sony are selling waterproof models. So I'd like to have a look at those. I haven't used Andorid or Windows 8 yet, so I don't know how I'll go switching OS. I really hope Apple come to the party with the new Iphone, but I'm not feeling very confident!

bennyling
27th June 2013, 01:14 PM
I'll be getting the next next iPhone (so the iPhone 6, or whatever it'll be called).

I don't really care about Apple blowing the opposition out of the water, because they're already doing that in my opinion, and plus, I prefer the simplicity and usability of iOS compared to what else is out there.

zed
27th June 2013, 01:18 PM
I'll be getting the next next iPhone (so the iPhone 6, or whatever it'll be called).

I don't really care about Apple blowing the opposition out of the water, because they're already doing that in my opinion, and plus, I prefer the simplicity and usability of iOS compared to what else is out there.

I do like the IOS. I had a play with a mates Nokia and the OS was crap. But I'm a keen photographer & when I don't have my DSLR it would be great to have a phone that matches decent point n shoot cameras. At the moment, the Iphone is trailing well behind it's rivals in that department. But it is an older model. I'll keep my fingers crossed anyway.

dracomjb
27th June 2013, 02:18 PM
I'll be most likely moving to the 5S from the 5, assuming better battery life and performance. I tried android a year ago for a month and there were too many issues, perhaps I could find the right android hardware in terms of button position and size but generally they just feel too big holding and not easy to use one handed.

LCGuy
1st July 2013, 11:15 PM
I'll probably get the iPhone 6 next year. Not a fan of Android or Windows 8, and Blackberry's still not doing that well...so that really only leaves iOS.

GeoffP
2nd July 2013, 05:44 AM
Still on iPhone 4 - will look at the 5 in September.
Am considering a non apple phone as well due to iPhone only supporting PAN which my car doesn't support (hence no internet access in car)

Geoff3DMN
2nd July 2013, 07:19 AM
I'm not a fan of the iPhone 5 form factor ratio, it's too long and narrow IMO and I'm not expecting the 5S to be different in that particular.

There are rumors that coming with the iPhone 6 will be a larger (more importantly) wider screen so I'm hoping that'll be the case and if so I'll buy a 6. If not I'll probably get a Samsung Galaxy 4 because for eBook reading (most of my smart phone use) the extra width is needed.

Marcsteel
5th July 2013, 08:22 PM
Recently bought an iP5 of a fellow mactalker, more to do with the LTE than anything else. BUT I'd have to say the HTC One is a really nice device. I went to my carrier and had a play around with it as well as the BlackBerry Z10 and actually enjoyed it as well. Both devices appealed to my sense of size more than the larger Samsung S4, which I think is just ridiculously too large. If the iPhone were to be wider I could imagine it being 5 apps wider but do wonder of that would then venturing into Samsung proportions. I may continue with the next iteration of iPhone when it comes out as my contract expires mid October.

Oldmacs
5th July 2013, 08:33 PM
Just upgraded to an iPhone 4 in May so probably the iPhone 6/6S.

I really really dislike Android phones, I had a Samsung before my 3GS and it was rubbish. A lot of the people I know who switched from iOS to Android in 2011 when the 4S came out are now swapping back to iPhone 5's and liking it. With the announcement of that major Android virus thing I'm not fussed at all.

My take on it is that Samsung may bring new features, however the vast majority are half baked. Apple (Usually) waits and perfects the idea :)

kyte
6th July 2013, 05:51 AM
I'm seriously considering getting an iPhone 5 before september because I just hate the look of iOS7. I don't want a phone with that on it. So its going to be that, or stay with the 4S for a very very long time (probably the most sensible option for someone who prefers to spend her money on cameras).

Oldmacs
6th July 2013, 12:39 PM
Maybe they'll tweak the look of iOS 7 before release? Or do you hate it to the extent that they'd have to completely change it?

codger
6th July 2013, 04:40 PM
Contract on my 4s will be up in September so good timing I hope for the newest iPhone and iOS7. Lots of talk around regarding a cheaper iPhone coming this year? Could this be the 5s with the 6 waiting until later which would be a real quandary? I would hate this sort of scenario as I got stung with my iPad 3 which I bought soon after release and then the 4 came only a month later.

doofus
6th July 2013, 10:49 PM
Would like to upgrade to the new iPhone later this year, especially if battery life is improved. I would gladly have a slightly thicker phone that stayed charged longer. It is time Apple got over making everything thinner.

kyte
8th July 2013, 11:37 AM
NVM... being repetitive.

andyrb
9th July 2013, 10:19 PM
I'll skip the next iPhone release (5S or whatever) and get the next one after that.

paronga
9th July 2013, 11:20 PM
i'm sitting on an iPhone 4. I like this phone design a LOT!
maybe because it's my first smartphone/iPhone *shrug*
I'd like to upgrade to 4s and hold out on having 30pin dock connector for as long as i can.
but this cheaper iPhone might sway me to upgrade? i don't usually have enough to spend on a new phone. My first iPhone was an exception. i HAD to have that. But now. Meh.
I've got an iPad 2 that i'm not looking to upgrade unless i win the lottery either!

Oldmacs
10th July 2013, 12:13 AM
That's me as well :)
Don't see myself upgrading my ipad 2 for a while and it would annoy me to have an ipad on 30 pin and an iphone on lightning.

zed
11th July 2013, 10:54 AM
I went into the Telstra shop and had a play with a number of different phones, HTC, Sony, Samsung and they all seemed to have this irritating virtual home button as opposed to the Iphones actual button. I found when tinkering around you would have to press the virtual button a number of times for it to respond. If your finger was in the slightly wrong place it wouldn't work. A minor thing that would quickly become a PITA!

Adders
16th July 2013, 09:57 PM
I'm counting down the seconds until the new iPhone is released. I've been off-contract with my iPhone 4 for almost a year. When it came out, the iPhone 5 didn't offer enough to be worth upgrading to, but now my iPhone 4 is starting to show it's age. Bring on the "5S"!

Alessiman
16th July 2013, 10:40 PM
IOS 7 and the iPhone 5S didn't have enough to tempt me to stick with Apple for my phone so i traded it all in for a HTC One on the weekend and must say - I am absolutely loving it

The only minor gripe has been the lack of a hard home button and the less than stellar port of facebook for android

Funny enough I went in to get an S4 but walked out with a HTC One. So glad i did as i hadn't even considered it when i decided to switch to android

woofy
17th July 2013, 10:43 AM
I'm entrapped into the iOS ecosystem now with my company being all things iPhone and iPad....and it's not a bad way to be. The phones work well, I can put all my own stuff on it. I'm not wanting a bigger phone, as it was the 3GS was a goliath compared to my previous phones years back and I want smaller not larger. We have iPads for work so I want my phone to be a phone, not a textbook.

My wife is due for a switchup around the same time as my company after the new whatever is released. We pretty much are assuming we will get the next iPhone. My only gripe is that we won't be able to use my super handy Tomtom cradle anymore as they haven't released the 5 version and have been very quiet ever since. I will be glad to see the back of the 30pin connectors around our house though.

kyte
19th July 2013, 07:45 AM
Since my last post, I have considered going Android again, and getting a "phablet". I don't ever go mobile with my iPad 3, and I really like my iPad mini and my iPhone 4S, but I'd love to have more convergence which is why I bought the first iPhone. I'd rather stay with iOS, I have lots of dollars sunk into that, and not so much into android, so I am going to wait a while and see what the next iPhones look like. I'm at a stage now where I do want a larger screen, but maybe, maybe larger than the current iP5. Decisions decisions, and I just bought another camera! LOL! Maybe maybe I wont have any choice and will have to stay with what I have :)

Deanodriver
14th September 2013, 07:18 PM
I've still got a year to go on my current contract, so probably next year's iPhone (or even the 'C' version).

I have however considered jumping ship to Windows Phone. I quite like the WP8 devices.

TJA77
14th September 2013, 08:59 PM
ill be going a 5S. I was on a HTC One for 3-4 months and I enjoyed the phone a lot but the lack of fluidity and ease bought me back to my current 5 and iOS 7 beta and Im happy all over again. Android is getting there no doubt about it, but I found it was the small things Android cant / doesn't do that annoyed me the most.