PDA

View Full Version : MBP RAM not backwards compatible?

black_nail
26th June 2013, 04:59 PM
I just inherited a stock standard 2011 Core i5 MBP. I figured if i put the 8GB of RAM, and 7200rpm hard disk from my 2010 Core 2 Duo MBP into it, it will be a nice speed bump for me.
And it is.. it works great. and it's very speedy.

But here's the problem:
I put the original hard drive and RAM from the 2011 model into the 2010 one and now it wont start up. When i turn it on, i get the grey screen with the apple logo, and then a spinning/loading thingy.. but then that freezes, and nothing else happens.

I opened the back of the computer back up to make sure i had installed everything securely (which i did).. but it still doesn't start.

Did i do something wrong? I'm confused cause the older RAM works in the newer computer but not the other way around.

Do i need to buy some 2010 specific RAM to make that MBP work?

Thanks in advance.

bennyling
26th June 2013, 05:13 PM
Probably not a RAM issue, black_nail.

Getting the Apple logo and the spinner means that your RAM passes it's likely something to do with putting newer software on the older machine. Sounds kind of strange, I know, but that's just how it is.

You could start starting in safe mode (hold shift on boot) to see if you can get the desktop, but apart from that you might need to do a format and re-install.

samuelowens
27th June 2013, 10:48 PM
The MBPs with nVidia chipsets are very finicky about RAM speeds. The 2011 models with Intel chipsets used 1333MHz RAM, while the 2010 models with nVidia chipsets used 1066MHz RAM. Ordinarily, it should not make a difference, but in these models it did.

milliedog
28th June 2013, 06:45 AM
+1 one on that. I've got a 2008 Macbook that can use 1333 ram and a 2010 Macbook Pro that can't :(

black_nail
28th June 2013, 08:16 PM
Ok awesome.. well at least now i know what the problem is. Thanks guys.