PDA

View Full Version : McBook Pro 4, 1 - replacement SSD and RHS Fan - in Aus

kdoc
24th June 2013, 06:55 AM
Hi Folks,

I have just a couple of questions I would really appreciate some assistance with please.

I've been using my '08 15" Pro as my work laptop, but recently the disk started to slow and now the RHS Fan is also gone. I can do the work, but to know which model components to buy and where in AUS is another question. So, if one of you would be kind enough to advise me, I would be eternally grateful.

1. To which site(s) I can go - in AUS if poss. - to find a replacement RHS fan for my model.

2. The exact spec of SSD I can purchase that the laptop will support. I "think", so long as I get a 3.0GB SATA SSD, that I should be fine. But I would rather confirm this first. I don't need more than about 350GB (I still have 80GB left on the default 250). I read somewhere something about different "sized" (as in physical size) disks in different models..... ????

3. I know I can effectively clone the OS using the Mac's Disk Utility, but as I understand it, that clones ONLY the OS and not necessarily all the Appl's I have installed over the years and not my home / data directories. Is this the case or am I mistaken?

I like to use the "Parted" rescue disk for my linux boxes and happily clone full disks using that. I'm just not certain whether or not it works at bit level (and thus EXT2/3 or HFS shouldn't matter) or something higher where it won't support the mac format. Do any of you know the answer please?

Many thanks in advance.

alexc
14th July 2013, 03:05 PM
Not helpful, but... is it worth it? Even an entry level 11" MacBook Air is going to destroy that 08 MBP on performance.

glacierdave
15th July 2013, 08:15 AM
Other than going to an Apple repairer (who may be constrained by Apple from selling you the parts) I don't know of an Australian source for a fan for your MacBook Pro. But if you google "fan for macbook pro 2008" you'll find plenty of starting points to figure it out. (You might need to firm up your search for actual model but you get the idea).

As to the SSD thing, you'll probably find most SSD's will be OK. It's got a 1.5Gbps SATA interface so just about any SSD will be faster than the interface you're connecting into. If you aren't planning to buy another Mac and move this SSD into it then you might save some money getting a lower-end SSD.

The included Disk Utility is all you need to clone your hard drive. It'll clone everything just fine (I use it all the time for exactly this purpose). It can also create (mountable) DMG image backups too if you want.

But alexc is also correct in asking, is it worth it?

For a 5 year old (or so) computer with a Core 2 Duo processor that'll only take 4GB (or 6GB if you're lucky) of RAM is it worth spending that money on this computer or are you better off putting that money towards it's replacement?

David