PDA

View Full Version : Audio chat between a Mac (15" PB) & a PC (WinXP)?

spargo
3rd September 2004, 11:26 AM
I'm seeking advice on what is the best application to use to have audio chats between my 15" P'book, and my brothers PC (running WinXP).

I am moving to London in 11 days (but who's counting?) for an indefinite period and want to setup an iChat or msn messenger-style connection that we can use audio chat on (i.e. save on overseas phone call costs!)

We are connected and can type-chat to each other (and others) via both MSN messenger:mac - which is v4.0.0 (this is the version that was in office:mac that i brought with the PB), and we can do the same via iChat on the PB, and AOL/AIM on his PC.. so connections or linking up our i.d.'s etc isn't the problem.. All of my mac OS X software updates are up-to-date..

However we strike problems when attempting to start audio chats..

Messenger for Mac appears to not support audio chat at my end (i'm sure i've got the newest version and he definitely does)..

And at either end of iChat/AIM - we both receive a response saying that the other one doesn't have audio supported...? My machine shows the green telephone icon, and his does for himself on AIM, however at either end it says that the other doesn't have it connected.??

Neither of us has a webcam (or iSight), and we were intending just using headsets or in-built speakers/mics.

So what are we doing wrong - does anyone know if it is simply a non-compatibility issue (between PC's and OSX/Mac's on both Messenger and iChat/AIM), or are we doing something wrong?

any help appreciated..

(and yes, i'm trying to sway him to a mac, and no it doesn't look like it will be hard to do..)

Disko
3rd September 2004, 11:36 AM
pipsqeek told me about this today in irc.
http://www.skype.com/

Ozi
3rd September 2004, 12:29 PM
Awesome! I am trailing it now: I have been looking for an App like this for some time. TY sqeek, Disko.

eni
3rd September 2004, 12:38 PM
Thanks for reminding me of this. A few months ago someone wanted me to install this on my PC but I declined mostly because I didn't want to speak to them :P but for my own curiosity I would have if it wasn't touting "from the people who brought you KaZaA" as it's main selling point. Anyone know if it's riddled with spyware or not before I run it?

spargo
3rd September 2004, 01:00 PM
that's all great, but can someone tell me whether it is possible or not to connect between a PC and an Apple with iChat/AIM; or MSN Messenger, and do an audio chat..? :unsure:

btw: I downloaded and installed that program, it seems to run, however will have to wait 'til the little bro gets home to test 'er out.. No idea if it has spyware, how would u check that?

Disko
3rd September 2004, 02:04 PM
this link might help spargo. courtesey of spectre. Let us know how you go: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93208

p53
14th September 2004, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by spargo@Sep 3 2004, 01:00 PM
that's all great, but can someone tell me whether it is possible or not to connect between a PC and an Apple with iChat/AIM; or MSN Messenger, and do an audio chat..?
Yes it is possible using iChat on Mac with AIM on Windows, or using Yahoo Messenger. As yet, MSN for Mac does not suport audio or video conferencing.
Now I know with AIM it can be quite an effort to get it working. You need to download a specific version of AIM for Windows (I can't remember off the top of my head which one it is, but I remember other uses reported that you need to do a good search of AIM's website). See Apple's discussion boards for more info if you haven't already - I know some Apple users there have set up audio and video conferencing with Windows users so they should be able to walk you through the procedure.
As for Yahoo, I haven't heard much about that except that it is possible.
There is also skype as others have already said.

pipsqeek
15th September 2004, 09:20 AM
Skype is just plain easy. You run it, it works.

There is no spyware. The Authors get funds from you buying credits, which can be used to make actual phone calls from your computer to a landline telephone anywhere in the world. And I have saved over $50 already calling overseas. That's just this month, which has been light.

I have bee using this on PC for a while, but now that its been released on OS X. My PC truely has one purpose.

kristian
21st September 2004, 10:17 AM
If it's purely voice chats, I'll use Skype. I find that it has better voice quality compared to iChat and connection is almost a sure shot. Skype also doesn't require much configuration (none in fact) if you're behind a NAT.

decryption
21st September 2004, 10:38 AM
When my girlfriend lived in Adelaide, we used Yahoo! Messenger to have a video chat thing between my Mac and her Windows machine.
I wish there was an app like Skype for video though :(