PDA

View Full Version : Spending a Week on Power PC :D

Oldmacs
17th June 2013, 08:36 PM
Hi All, This week I am spending a lot of time using a G4 iBook (1.33 GHZ ) as my main machine just for fun :)

I'll report back and by the end of the week will have an updated guide to using a PPC machine in 2013 :D

Anyone want to join me?

davemc
17th June 2013, 08:48 PM
I use my powerbook G4 15" now and then. Actually still like it, if I go no where near video files for general net it just works

Oldmacs
17th June 2013, 09:04 PM
I have a bit of a solution for the net thing and for youtube :)

Jealous of your 15 inch !!
I do have my Powerbook 12 Inch but I think that this iBook performs better than it (1.33 GHZ vs 1 GHZ, 1.5 GB ram vs 512 MB ect)

MisterFnord
17th June 2013, 09:08 PM
I've got a G4 MacMini which the kids use regularly, mostly for web-based (flash) gaming. See an occasional bit of lag, but in general, the games play just as well as on the 4 year-old windows box sitting next to it.

Oldmacs
3rd July 2013, 02:45 PM
I'm going to put a list up of what I did to make the iBook G4 workable for a week :)

samuelowens
3rd July 2013, 07:50 PM
I looooove my iMac G4; it's the most stylishly, whimsically fun device Apple made (nudging out the iBook G3 toilet seat/clamshell).

And it does run all the software I need, including a modern browser (TenFourFox), office software (Office 2008) and iTunes (10.6.3).

But...

I will have to opt out of the PPC challenge because it's on iTunes jukebox duty in my bedroom bookcase and I like my MBA as the couch computer...

I wish you well though.

Oldmacs
3rd July 2013, 07:54 PM

I love my iMac G4 as well I wish I had one of the later models though….

A long time project of mine will be to put an SDD and 2 GB of RAM in mine :)

Dog Knight
11th July 2013, 12:05 PM
I still regularly use my Powermac G5 for two purposes.
First is as a second screen to display information while I am working on other things or play music, etc.
Secondly for storage when moving files as I have an xserve raid with 7 TB's of storage attached to it.

auckland
11th July 2013, 06:31 PM
Hi All, This week I am spending a lot of time using a G4 iBook (1.33 GHZ ) as my main machine just for fun :)

I'll report back and by the end of the week will have an updated guide to using a PPC machine in 2013 :D

Anyone want to join me?

Na bro. That's way extreme!

Oldmacs
11th July 2013, 07:04 PM
It was actually fine!
I used the iBook for a week as my main computer.

simonm
12th July 2013, 11:36 PM
It was actually fine!
I used the iBook for a week as my main computer.

:naughty: Some people like extreme sports. I'm not one of those people (types on 2.8 rMBP).

Well done though. Well maintained and enough RAM and it should be usable.

Oldmacs
17th July 2013, 08:09 PM
hahahaha

Well I love my 2012 Macbook.. However I love using one of these iBooks and then coming back to my Macbook. For a while it feels like i've installed SSD without the extra cost :3

Oldmacs
18th July 2013, 03:59 PM
I wonder if I should try and spend a week on G3? ….. I have a feeling that it might be a bit of a stretch, but possibly worth attempting.

Sadly this will have to wait a while. The only G3s I have are iMacs and I need a laptop :P