PDA

View Full Version : Best way of going from 10.4.4 to 10.3.9?

mazza_lives
12th January 2006, 06:41 PM
I am currently on 10.4.4 and have been playing around with an iBook loaded with 10.3.9 and find it more responsive when working in audio. Anyhow I want to test out working in 10.3.9 and want to "downgrade".

What is my best option? I don't mind clean installing. I just dont know how to go about it in Mac OSX (newbie). Could someone give me a link or tell me please. Thanks.

designers_hub
12th January 2006, 06:47 PM
you make a copy of your files.

pop in your Mac OS X Panther CD, Clean install, move your files back.

you will be on Mac OS X Panther 10.3, then just use software update which will update you up to 10.3.9

btw. you should just stick with the latest version of Mac OS X because in the mac world your computer usually performs faster with each each update as it better takes advantage of your hardware.

mazza_lives
12th January 2006, 07:58 PM
You're probably right but I have noticed Panther runs audio Firewire better. I don't know any opinions ?

Atomac
12th January 2006, 08:03 PM
I had this problem when I installed an airport update on my G3 PM. The 3rd party card support was broken and as I use it as a wireless storage device and printer router and control it via VNC I had to reinstall 10.3.9 minus the update.

As the poster above says the only thing you can do is back up and reinstall.

napes
12th January 2006, 08:32 PM
i completely agree mazza-lives - I run all my audio stuff through a separate install of 10.3.9 and start-up to it when-ever I do audio work. Then for everyday stuff and graphic/web/3D work, use a 10.4.x It's means I have a nice and clean audio working environment with the minimum chance of conflicts. And because audio card is an mAudio unit (with notoriously flakey drivers) it's very stable at the older OS. I can really recommend a set up like I have - never been better!

mazza_lives
13th January 2006, 02:26 AM
Napes - how do you go about having 2 different versions of OS X running? I only have one hard drive?

Currawong
13th January 2006, 06:48 AM
You can't have two different versions of osx on one partition. You'd have to partition your hard drive into two, removing all the data first as erases everything.

When you start up from an OSX CD, you have an "Options" button which allows you to choose "Update" (wont be an option for a downgrade), "Archive Install" - preserves users and network settings optionally - used to be known as a clean install, and "Erase install" which is self explanatory - it wipes everything before installing.

soulman
13th January 2006, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by napes@Jan 12 2006, 09:32 PM
...because audio card is an mAudio unit (with notoriously flakey drivers) it's very stable at the older OS...
napes, I seem to recall from a previous post that you have the same card as I do - an Audiophile 2496. FWIW, I'm using the V1.2.1 driver under 10.4.3 and it's working. This is also the most recent version of the driver that I could get to work under 10.3.9.

You may have other reasons for preferring 10.3 - I have heard elsewhere that 10.4 broke (or at least bent) some audio stuff - but I thought it might be useful to report a functioning combination given how rare it is with those drivers. Definitely the worst software experience I've ever had & I found their tech support as bad - like Fawlty Towers but serious. Great card when it's working though!

mazza_lives, apart from the good info from previous posters, it might be helpful for you to know that your machine almost certainly will not run any OS earlier than what it shipped with and that I have heard at least one report of 10.4 doing something which prevents a subsequent reinstall of 10.3. I hope neither of these things affect you - good luck!

mazza_lives
13th January 2006, 12:58 PM
I have heard at least one report of 10.4 doing something which prevents a subsequent reinstall of 10.3.

You mean even if I choose complete erase install?

Is partitioning an 80gb hard drive a good idea. Would you make it 40/40?

soulman
13th January 2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by mazza_lives@Jan 13 2006, 01:58 PM
You mean even if I choose complete erase install?
That's what I've heard but I've only seen one report & you never know - it could be user error.

As to partitioning, there was a recent thread here discussing it - search for that maybe - though, as Currawong says, if you need to dual boot then you need to partition. I wouldn't tend to bother otherwise. Sizing of partitions depends very much on your needs.