PDA

View Full Version : Time machine back-up issues

gbrm
9th May 2013, 08:10 PM
Hi - I use a time machine to back up the mac, and it has been working fine for a few months since this set-up. However, for the last two weeks or so, it is not backing up. Some error message around sparse file or something. Unfortunately, I did not record the message else will relay it exactly here. Next time it pops up, I'll record it. Tried some online searches, but no help. Has anyone come across this before?, and if so, how to fix it.. Appreciate all help. Cheers...

bennyling
9th May 2013, 08:56 PM
You'll probably have to erase the drive and let Time Machine start the backup from scratch.

gbrm
10th May 2013, 07:07 AM
Thanks bennyling. I hope that is the worst case scenario. I lost all data without a back up last year, and bought this time machine to save from future hassles. I ll have a read on how to erase and start from scratch, and try this over the weekend unless I come across other alternatives. Hope all goes well.

FineWine
10th May 2013, 11:50 AM
Here is an excellent site: Apple OSX and Time Machine Tips (http://pondini.org/OSX/Home.html) it has helped me out a few times.

LaPastenague
10th May 2013, 06:19 PM
Loss of connection to the sparsebundle is typical Mountain Lion issue with the TC.

Check C12 or C17 in the reference FineWine has posted.

This is poor networking and some bug in particular between these devices.. it is the most frequent issue posted on the TC discussions area of the apple forum. Like 5 times a day.. search is utterly useless on the Apple site btw. Use google to find anything.

Mountain Lion seems to just lose its marbles on a fairly regular basis.

The new firmware for the TC.. 7.6.3 probably made things worse.

gbrm
13th May 2013, 10:54 PM
Thanks both of you for the link and context. Shall have a browse, and see this week. Hopefully, I can get this working like before this week...