PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 5 - sucky wifi

The_Hawk
27th April 2013, 09:11 PM
Anyone else on an iPhone 5 have sucky wifi?

I seem to get *really* shitty speeds on wifi, but great speeds on 3G. Things that struggle to load on wifi work fine on 3G.

tonykaye
11th May 2013, 07:55 AM
Yes! It's horrible. The update for 6.1 was supposed to fix this (IIRC) but it hasn't for me. I get 20 feet from my wifi router and it drops a full bar. I have to be on LTE in my bedroom for my phone too even use the internet. I'm picking up an access point for my router strictly for this.

Maybe try a replacement from Apple - I've read that some are better than others.

The_Hawk
11th May 2013, 10:04 AM
I have two access points, one Time Capsule and one Airport Extreme both at opposite ends of the house, WiFi coverage is more than adequate everywhere... the iPhone just sucks.

To complicate matters running the speedtest.net app and it seems to work fine... but evening something simple like downloading the timetable updates from tripview struggle on WiFi but FLY on 3G and we aren't talking big files here!

OldSapper
11th May 2013, 12:41 PM
Hi Hawk,

Had the same problem with my iPhone 5 which I bought online last November. Got sick of yelling at the damn thing for losing connectivity. Went online and booked a session at the Genius Bar in Doncaster. Told the lad my problem and let him know my iPad and MBP had no problems with connectivity and he exchanged the phone for a new one. Great service, great outcome for me and a phone that connects to my network now. Give it a try, who knows you might get a new phone, if not at least they will have to fix your antennas or something.