PDA

View Full Version : WWDC 2013

rav3n
25th April 2013, 01:01 AM
So its getting close to that time of the year again. Tickets (https://developer.apple.com/wwdc/) are on sale in the next few hours at $1600 a pop. Anyone going? What are we expecting to see this year?

silverbelt
25th April 2013, 09:44 AM
Tickets are on sale at 3am on 26th April AEST. I'll definitely be gunning for a ticket, it's such a valuable experience.

I'm hoping we see better app-to-app communication, more private APIs exposed (I'm looking at you, UIWebView) and perhaps even major enhancements to Xcode and related tools.

nibbles
25th April 2013, 10:14 AM
Looking forward to iOS 7 and hoping for a few more out-of-the-box UI element styles. I think the main WWDC keynote this year will be about the developer and the software more so than other aspects like it was a couple of years ago.

Interested to see what it brings, hopefully no Windows Phone like UI.

andyrb
25th April 2013, 10:18 AM
So when is the main keynote?

lach
25th April 2013, 01:33 PM
I'd be interested to hear people's opinions of what this year's invite might be hinting at. Traditionally Apple have always hidden a secret meaning behind the design of their invites (right?). I'm noticing two big things; the different coloured boxes and the Roman numerals. I've read elsewhere someone thinking the colours signified the coming of new colours for iPhones.

Thoughts?

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/04/wwdc_2013.jpg

Oldmacs
25th April 2013, 01:38 PM
Maybe folders will be like stacks of photos on the iPad- when you tap on them they expand to a folder..... ( because the graphic looks like a stack of apps......)

Fermat
25th April 2013, 02:46 PM
Maybe "The iPhone ... Now available in multiple colours" not just black and white?

New hardware usually gets its own event, unless the new hardware requires developers to makes changes to their software. Think new screen size for iOS apps or the biggest one, the Intel transition.

rav3n
25th April 2013, 08:28 PM
I've read elsewhere someone thinking the colours signified the coming of new colours for iPhones.

Given the popularity of coloured conversions on ebay i'd say its inevitable Apple will introduce this. I'd wager we'll see the final versions of OS X and iOS, with them merging next year.

pmoe
26th April 2013, 07:36 AM
Hmm

Maybe folders will be like stacks of photos on the iPad- when you tap on them they expand to a folder..... ( because the graphic looks like a stack of apps......)

Is it too passť to +1 this idea?

jamesatfish
26th April 2013, 08:01 AM
Did anyone else grab a ticket? Always good to meet fellow MacTalkers over in SF.

jaselynch
29th April 2013, 09:28 AM
Did anyone else grab a ticket? Always good to meet fellow MacTalkers over in SF.
I was on of the lucky ones. This will be my first WWDC and I couldn't be more excited :)

adamd
29th April 2013, 10:22 AM
I was on of the lucky ones. This will be my first WWDC and I couldn't be more excited :)

So jealous! Congratulations and have an awesome time!

jamesatfish
29th April 2013, 10:23 AM
Congrats! I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself!

Not sure if you've booked flights & accommodation yet - I'm on QF11 on Sunday 9th flying SYD-LAX, then connecting with AA up to San Francisco. Always happy to meet up at the airport lounge before the flight if you're heading out the same day. I usually stay at the Intercontinental which is directly next door to the Moscone, making it a breeze to duck back to the hotel between sessions for when I inevitably forget my laptop charger.

Peter Wells
29th April 2013, 10:33 AM
Yeah, totes jelly Jase!

jaselynch
30th April 2013, 12:17 PM
Thanks dudes. Yeah i can't really focus on anything else, i just need it to be June already.
Haven't done flights yet, hopefully sorting that today. Either Qantas or Delta at this stage.
I'm staying at the Westin which i think is a 9 minute walk from Moscone.

Oldmacs
30th April 2013, 12:22 PM
Can I fit into your Luggage? ....... ;)

jaselynch
6th May 2013, 03:37 PM
Can I fit into your Luggage? ....... ;)
If you'll line up for the keynote for me on Saturday, and give me my spot on Monday morning. Maybe.

Oldmacs
6th May 2013, 03:39 PM
:D :P

modernpacifist
14th May 2013, 11:34 AM
Finally managed to wrangle in intra-team ticket transfer (purchased under the wrong Apple ID :S) from Apple. Almost wasn't going!

lach
30th May 2013, 10:13 AM
So...new thoughts on the invitation. Given the rumours of Jony Ive's "flatter" iOS 7, and the whisperings that it will feature more black and white, plus each app to be coloured a certain way (or something along those lines), could this be an indication of the future design for iOS?

nibbles
30th May 2013, 11:03 AM
Ha, I can see them possibly saying that icons must be a certain form so that they can apply colours or gradient maps to them to suit a user's theme but actual in app content I doubt.

The one thing I'm hoping for is a better SDK for standard buttons and tab bars, etc because even Apple have gone a little mad with the custom progress bars, etc so it'd be nice to tie them all in together again.

lach
6th June 2013, 02:06 PM
Official iOS 7 Icons - MacRumors Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1590423)

This is exactly what I was talking about...I reckon they're spot on!