PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3GS battery replacement through Apple.

Oldmacs
18th April 2013, 08:21 PM
As I spoke about in an earlier post my 3GS battery has collapsed. The same thing has happened to a friends, although theirs is a HEAP worse!

When I went in they told me my battery had nothing wrong with it and therefore I would have to pay the full $179.

My friend recently went in and way told that there was no $89 battery replacement for older iPhones. (Same genius bar)

Anyone have any idea on this? From what I understood from my visit, this site and the Apple site there is a 3GS battery replacement for $89. Can anyone confirm this?

mmulhern
19th April 2013, 08:10 AM
You can get a DIY battery and tools either off eBay, or MacFitIt.com.au

iPhone 3GS Repair Replacement Parts (http://www.macfixit.com.au/apple-ipad-iphone-ipod-accessories/ipad-iphone-ipod-repair-replacement-parts/iphone-parts/iphone-3gs-repair-parts.html)

MacFixit curtrently have battery only on special for $19.99, or with tools for $29.99.

eBay will be cheaper again, but MacFixit would be my preferred option.

iFixit Battery Replacement Guide makes it look easy:

Installing iPhone 3GS Battery - iFixit (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iPhone+3GS+Battery/1545/1)

Oldmacs
19th April 2013, 08:25 AM
I know I know- I just refuse to open it......

I'm going to buy a 4S- I'm just wondering if anyone has actually has had Apple do the $89 3GS battery 'replacement' at the genius bar :)

kyte
25th April 2013, 05:35 PM
I'm not sure what you mean when you say your battery has "collapsed". Does it not hold any charge at all? Just that I am thinking if it still can be charged in some way, maybe thats the criterion for replacement. $179 for a new refurbed phone seems pretty good to me, and you would know it had a good battery.

However, the Apple site does say that battery replacement is $89, and its right there, so I would be pointing the "genius" at that, who said there was no replacement for older phones. There is nothing there to exclude any of the older things.

Oldmacs
25th April 2013, 05:42 PM
Its getting about 1-2 horus of battery life........
I know people who have had batteries like mine and they have had the $89 options.

$179 is just way too much for a phone that most probably won't be supported by iOS 7. $89 I would consider though :)

Mac Monk
26th April 2013, 01:45 PM
It may not be the battery, it can be also the dock connection. You can have these replaced professionally for about $100 or buy a DIY kit on ebay for about $9.

Oldmacs
26th April 2013, 04:35 PM
How could it be the dock connector?
I'm just wondering because it charges to 100 percent.......

I don't think I'm interested in having the current iPhone fixed. It also has a host of other issues with network dropping/cracking back. I just wished that Apple would do the $89 battery problem phone replacement.