PDA

View Full Version : Innovation time

mivory
8th April 2013, 09:49 PM
Is it just me, or has the innovating dried up with Apple lately? Do you think there will be any big new hardware or just more of same like we've seen?

icant
8th April 2013, 10:26 PM
Bring Ping back!

Arkhum_Eramak
8th April 2013, 10:41 PM
Apple are still innovating as much as they ever have. The iPhone 5 manufacturing is considered by engineers to be impossible on a mass scale, not to mention the A6 and the unique fact that certain parts of it that other designers do by computer were arranged by hand to create the most efficient design possible, the push for Thunderbolt as a standard IO, the increasingly well designed enclosures for all their computers (utilising the already impressive 'unibody' techniques they first demonstrated with the aluminium MacBook) - there are a lot of these things to choose from. What more do you want? Products that shift entire industries? By popular opinion, the products Apple has that have truly broken barriers were the Macintosh, the iPod and the iPhone. Maybe you could add the iPad. That's four products in almost 40 years!!

But obviously things have gone stale there.

Peter Wells
8th April 2013, 10:54 PM
Bring Ping back!

Bwahahahahah! :)

LCGuy
8th April 2013, 11:01 PM
Forget Ping - I'm still waiting for them to bring back OpenDoc. I expect that OS XI Fat Cat will bring it back as a new feature - in the same way that 10.7 brought back the Launcher from System 7 - reincarnated as LaunchPad. And to revive Copland.

mivory
9th April 2013, 09:29 AM
I just think the form and basic function hasn't changed much in a while.

MissionMan
9th April 2013, 11:50 AM
It's hard to argue innovation with an established device. Very few devices in apple's lineup have seen major innovations. The iPod changed over the years, but nothing was a game changer. The Macbook Pro's have changed with things like Unibody, but nothing really set the mark in innovation to the degree that we have with the introduction of a new product like the original iPhone release.

I think the major innovation will be the watch and TV, everything else will be an evolution.

LCGuy
9th April 2013, 12:24 PM
Exactly, once you get to a point where you have something that works, and works well, you don't really want to "break" it. For example - the PowerBooks in 1991 were the first laptops to have a pushed back keyboard with the pointing device in front. 22 years later, any laptop you buy will have the same basic design.

icant
9th April 2013, 12:26 PM
Actually Apple still has ping. It's in the Terminal. Type
ping mactalk.com.au It's social networking, without the social.

nibbles
9th April 2013, 05:23 PM
Actually Apple still has ping. It's in the Terminal. Type It's social networking, without the social.

It's social, ping me if you want to check I'm still alive (or at least my Internet connection is)

It really is amazing that technology is at a point where if it doesn't look totally different then it is considered dull, I understand the desire for these new fancy things (I wouldn't be in here if I didn't) but I also recognise the achievement of actually making some of the devices that currently exist. We've found things that work, refine those before introducing new things.

Oldmacs
9th April 2013, 10:33 PM
I believe that Apple is very still innovative!
Its only been 3 years since the iPad- Give them time!