PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Mac Floppy Drive issues

Oldmacs
6th April 2013, 08:48 AM
I have 5 vintage Macintosh Floppy drives- two 800 K auto inject, one 1.4 MB Auto inject and two 1.4 MB manual inject. They all do the same thing. I insert a disk, and even if it is a known working disk, it will ask to format it. I have tried putiting in a disk that doesn't matter and formatting it, but it always fails after a while of erasing it. If I try and boot a Mac using a floppy (Known working) and one of these drives, it will bring up the smiley Mac for a second or two, then spit the disk out and restart....

Anyone have a solution? :)

neoxide
6th April 2013, 01:35 PM
Try cleaning the heads with rubbing alcohol?

I've got quite a few drives with this problem myself. Some don't even eject. Double check to see if you haven't got dodgy disks as well.

Oldmacs
6th April 2013, 01:52 PM
Might try cleaning the heads :)

The Disks I have tried are fine- I've made sure of that!! :p

Wally
7th April 2013, 12:47 PM
I would clean everything and then re-lubricate the bits that count with singer oil.

macman142
7th April 2013, 02:57 PM
Yep, clean the heads very carefully with isopropyl alcohol.

Also, for a drive that won't eject, you need to clean off all the old/hardened grease and re-lubricate.

Lastly, if simply cleaning the heads doesn't work - they need to be re-aligned. I forget the procedure or how you go about doing that... And I've never done one personally.