PDA

View Full Version : Lost/Found iPhone what to do

vid
29th March 2013, 12:19 PM
My Son lost his (previously mine) iPhone 4 last week, it was in perfect condition with a case, he had only had it a week as I got a new '5' and gave the '4' to him.
He went to town (Adelaide) with his friends, then comes home early hours of the morning with no phone, we phoned the places he'd been and taxi companies, a pizza place said they had one so I went to collect it, it's clearly in a worse condition than his but thought it might have got dropped/stepped on etc so I took it and charged it up to discover it's definitely not HIS, the questions I have are:

* The phone is locked so I can't phone any numbers on it, can I take the sim to Optus (that's the name on the SIM) and get them to trace the owner?

* With my son's phone can it be tracked down from the Serial Number? (he didn't have find my iPhone on it)

Thanks in advance, Vid

richardparker
29th March 2013, 01:14 PM
As far as I know, there is no way to trace the phone by it's serial number. Did your son have a password lock on it?

And, I am not sure about Optus being able to find the owner- but its definitely worth a shot.

vid
29th March 2013, 01:52 PM
No he didn't have a passcode lock on it, he'd only had it such a short time that he hadn't done much with it at all which is probably a good thing

richardparker
29th March 2013, 02:17 PM
I'd say it's a good thing there is no pass code. Let's hope there are still good people out there and someone calls some of the recent calls.

nibbles
29th March 2013, 02:43 PM
If they've got Siri enabled you can try holding the home button and saying something like who am I (sorry, not sure of the exact command)?

rav3n
29th March 2013, 08:51 PM
No he didn't have a passcode lock on it, he'd only had it such a short time that he hadn't done much with it at all which is probably a good thing

Not at all a good thing. No passcode means it can be wiped and restored. I guarantee unless a decent person has found it and attempts to give it back, this iphone will be on ebay or down the pawn shop.

mjankor
29th March 2013, 09:13 PM
Chances are the locked iphone you've got isn't completely up to date. See if you can unlock it using the glitch that resulted in the latest update. Then you can find out who owns it and get it back to them.

MadKiwi
30th March 2013, 01:34 PM
The lost iPhone should be able to be blocked by its IMEI number and I also believe that it should be able to bd blocked by serial number by Apple which will stop it bring able to be used with iTunes.

colbris
1st April 2013, 09:05 PM
Did you have find my phone activated?

MrJesseRoss
1st April 2013, 09:06 PM
Did you have find my phone activated?

(he didn't have find my iPhone on it)

No.

colbris
1st April 2013, 09:09 PM
Makes it difficult to locate the phone then. Sorry missed that post