PDA

View Full Version : Downloading the Bootcamp drivers, what a total fuster cluck.

ParisHilton
25th March 2013, 10:20 AM
I have a 2008 MacBook, I am setting it up as a machine that my fiance is using for uni, first requirement is to ditch OS X in favor of Windows 7.

That's fine, the install goes smoothly - no problems there. Then comes boot camp drivers.

The recommended way to do it, the way documented is to go into the Boot Camp Assistant and tell it to download the drivers then throw them on a USB disk, no worries, I do that but...

The assistant sits there. and sits there. I went away for that weekend, 3 days later the installer hadn't progressed further than about 40%. It's not the net connection.

Same thing happens on my 2011 Mac Mini - I gave up installing Windows on it some time ago.

Plan B - The Apple website. Click on download Boot Camp drivers, grab the latest version, happy days. Nope, I didn't read the fine print, the drivers I downloaded were x64 drivers. Lame, oh well... Next.

See, they don't label which Boot Camp drivers are for which model unless you go to the tech summary page, they list "Boot Camp Update for Windows" and then you need to go through about 20 links down the page, just to find the ones that apply to your model/OS! A simple link where you select your model and then select your OS (like every other driver page out there) would make this a 5 second process rather a frustrating 20 minute one.

Finally download the drivers that apply to this laptop, so far so good.

Lets install them.

"This package is not compatible with your hardware"

Seems i've downloaded the wrong drivers again, the hell.... Go back to the same page, download them again... same thing. The boot camp drivers i've now waited what, 2GB downloading all up (I have 10GB a month)

So, if anyone knows how an MSI works, it's like this - The installer runs a series of scripts to determine if the installer package will run on its intended source, and it does a kind of "trial install" before running the actual install (That's why when installing an MSI under the GUI, the green bar moves from 0% to 100% a few times before the install/file copy happens). Apple has a custom command inside the boot camp MSI to check to see if the target computer's hardware matches to the boot camp software you're installing - for some reason my Macbook was failing this check.

I fired up my work computer remotely (I use InstallShield as part of my job, it is software that creates and compiles MSI installers) and delved into the BootCamp MSI to see what's inside it, to see why my 2008 MacBook is failing the install the software for a 2008 MacBook.

From here I decided I couldn't be bothered deciphering which custom action is failing, so I just removed the entire upgrade check, which will now alloy the BootCamp software to install on any machine. After doing all this, the software installed without a hitch and is now working fine.

Just a heads up if someone comes along with the same issue. I'm happy to modify Boot Camp MSI's for people if they desire, otherwise you can download free MSI modifying tools such as Microsofts ORCA and have a crack at it yourself!

Thanks

Thingme
25th March 2013, 12:15 PM
Did that little job a few months back. I think the trick is to use BootCamp to obtain those drivers while you are still running OS X on the computer you need the Windows drivers for. B/C automatically detected the hardware the drivers were needed for, installed them to a USB flash drive without drama -- took just a few minutes. When the fresh Windows installation was booted it happily upgraded the BootCamp drivers from the USB flash stick in about ten minutes -- worked first time.

MacOS 10.8.1; MacBook Pro w/Retina display; 250GB BootCamp partition; Windows7/64bit.

rav3n
25th March 2013, 12:30 PM
Well it was the weekend, maybe apples servers were hungover:laughing:. I installed win 7 on my retina mbp just last week and the downloading of drivers took around an hour on adsl.

ParisHilton
25th March 2013, 01:27 PM
Did that little job a few months back. I think the trick is to use BootCamp to obtain those drivers while you are still running OS X on the computer you need the Windows drivers for. B/C automatically detected the hardware the drivers were needed for, installed them to a USB flash drive without drama -- took just a few minutes. When the fresh Windows installation was booted it happily upgraded the BootCamp drivers from the USB flash stick in about ten minutes -- worked first time.

MacOS 10.8.1; MacBook Pro w/Retina display; 250GB BootCamp partition; Windows7/64bit.

That is the first thing I tried, it stalls at about 40%. It's a known issue. Apple don't care.

leoleakey
25th March 2013, 02:45 PM
Download BootCamp Drivers for Macs to run Windows 7 or 8 | Chris F Carroll (http://www.cafe-encounter.net/p682/download-bootcamp-drivers)

this website give you option to download what ever you want :)