PDA

View Full Version : Talk me into/out of a 13" refurb MBP

Joe91
22nd March 2013, 08:45 PM
So my 2008 Alu MacBook is on its last legs... Nail in the coffin being a whisky spill on the keyboard rendering half a dozen keys on the left side useless. It also gets hot as soon as its used, and is generally quite laggy. A true workhorse though.

Been keeping an eye for news/rumours about a refresh/update but seems relatively quiet, so I jumped on the refurb store. 13" 2.9ghz i7 with 8GB RAM and a 750GB HDD.

So if I bite the bullet on this machine, am I likely to miss anything big/dramatic if an update to the MBP were to happen in the next few months?

I only use it for music, email, web surfing but lately have been getting back into photography so using it for editing also.

Thoughts appreciated!

The_Hawk
22nd March 2013, 08:55 PM
Nah, don't get it... get the 15" MBP Retina instead ;)

Joe91
22nd March 2013, 09:10 PM
Happy with the 13" size and don't really have a big desire for retina though fortunately (for my wallet)!

The_Hawk
22nd March 2013, 09:45 PM
Have you considered the MacBook Air?
I like the better screen res, sure the CPU isn't up there, but with the SSD it flies! It's also stupid light. Oh... also the storage is less...
I really hate the low res screen on the 13" MBP, but that's just me.

All of that aside, I wouldn't suspect anything major is coming to make this machine a bad buy.

kyte
23rd March 2013, 05:04 AM
I bought a refurb 13" in 2011, its never missed a beat. All it needs is more RAM and an SSD, been very happy with it, even though its only an i5. I have it plugged into a Dell 24" screen for stuff that needs better resolution.