PDA

View Full Version : How to restore Mail after fresh install

soulman
18th March 2013, 10:54 AM
One of my work machines, a 2009 2.0Ghz C2D Mac Mini, is acting oddly and I can't work out why - lots of inexplicable slowdowns, especially with Excel 2011, which locks up for minutes at a time. I've checked the disk, an OWC SSD, and it seems fine and the machine has plenty of memory, which I've also tested. In the absence of anything else to check, I've decided to nuke it and reinstall everything from scratch.

The only thing I need to hang onto, preferably exactly as it is, is all the mail in one user account. The machine is backed up with Time Machine to a server, but the user account will be named differently when it's redone so I'm guessing TM won't restore to the new account.

Is there an easy way to do this, or do I need to export it all and reimport it afterwards?

bennyling
18th March 2013, 02:00 PM
You can still use Migration Assistant to restore your Mail accounts to another computer.

Failing that, you can just export the mailbox in Mail before you nuke it all, which gives you a nice MBOX archive to import back into Mail when you're done. But bear in mind this doesn't give you a continuation of your email, just an archive of it.

soulman
18th March 2013, 03:07 PM
You can still use Migration Assistant to restore your Mail accounts to another computer.Well, that would be cool. I thought one could only restore Joe User's mail to Joe User's account with MA, whereas I need to restore Joe User's email to John User's account. That would be a perfect solution. Thanks Benny!

bennyling
18th March 2013, 04:17 PM
No worries buddy.

soulman
21st March 2013, 07:17 PM
Except that it doesn't seem to work. :(

I can restore some or all of an old user's stuff to the fresh install, but Migration Assistant will only restore it by recreating the old user's account. I can't work out a way of restoring old user's mail to the new user. Seems like MA is not set up to do this after all. If I type in the old user's credentials, I can select stuff from her account, but it restores it as her account. If I use the new user's credentials, Migration Assistant tells me there are no TM disks available - I can't get access to the old user's data.

Anyone have any other thoughts, or perhaps I've missed a feature of Migration Assistant?

Peter Wells
21st March 2013, 09:04 PM
I actually never "restore" email - it seems to always screw up. I resorts everything else, but mail I just plug in the details of the account again and let mail re-download all the email from IMAP or exchange.

bennyling
21st March 2013, 09:35 PM
I don't usually restore email either, but if you're really wanting to do it and have access to a Time Machine backup, why not just grab the ~/Library/Mail and associated Prefs files from the Time Machine backup? Not exactly as easy as MA but it could be done.

soulman
22nd March 2013, 08:43 AM
The accounts involved are POP3, so I can't download the mail again. I archived it all out so I'll just reimport it I think. Oh well.

Peter Wells
22nd March 2013, 11:57 AM
I don't usually restore email either, but if you're really wanting to do it and have access to a Time Machine backup, why not just grab the ~/Library/Mail and associated Prefs files from the Time Machine backup? Not exactly as easy as MA but it could be done.

Yeah, that should work too.. Cool avatar Bling!

bennyling
22nd March 2013, 12:03 PM
Yeah, that should work too.. Cool avatar Bling!

Hah! Thanks Pete.

Was wondering how long it would take for someone to notice (it isn't animated on Tapatalk) :)