PDA

View Full Version : Bricks and mortar store or online?

Joe98
8th March 2013, 08:31 PM
I see a whole series of posts here talking about new store openings.

I understand that most Apple stuff is bought on-line.

Why would anyone be excited about a store opening?

MrJesseRoss
8th March 2013, 10:07 PM
The internet doesn't let you touch things. The real world does. That's basically it.

Also you get a free tshirt. And you don't have to wait for stuff to turn up. And you can buy on impulse. And you can interact with humans. And it's somewhere to go. And you don't feel so alone.

LCGuy
8th March 2013, 11:20 PM
Put simply:

Apple stuff: Buy in store. Preferably at an Apple Store.

Everything else: Online is the only way to go.

cosmichobo
9th March 2013, 09:07 AM
Why buy from Apple? What about the poor resellers, who have spent the past 30 odd years trying to sell Apple's incredibly expensive wares, only to now have Apple come in and put them out of business?

(That's only half a joke... Some of the existing Apple retailers have been very good... Some not... But the statement does stand)

But to the question... If you buy online, you miss out on the round of applause...

Oldmacs
9th March 2013, 09:49 AM
I usually buy from JB- Apple are always more expensive.... .
JB almost always can be negotiated to discount the Mac and Apple care :)

cosmichobo
9th March 2013, 10:51 AM
Ahhh yes the other great reason to go with... well, not an "Apple Reseller" per se (not Apple-centric), but Myer, DJ, JB, DSE... and probably save at least $100 on the price of an Apple computer. As far as I know, Apple Store staff can't make such offers... or price match?

Peter Wells
9th March 2013, 11:43 AM
I generally buy online via the store/refurb store, but I love having a Genius Bar down the road for quick repairs.

MrJesseRoss
9th March 2013, 12:03 PM
As far as I know, Apple Store staff can't make such offers... or price match?

But they're so fetching in their fancy blue shirts.

glacierdave
9th March 2013, 04:23 PM
This may come as a bit of a shock, but the typical computer buyer DOESN'T inhabit forums and spend large chunks of their day on the Internet.

Some of them use the Internet for email and not much else.

Participants in this forum should not be considered as "the average computer user".

Bricks and mortar still has it's place. A changing and evolving place, certainly. But a place nonetheless.

Apple could be considered to be at the forefront of the bricks and mortar process of separating people from their cash. They earn more per square foot from their stores than almost anyone else on the planet (average US retailer is at $300 per square foot and Apple is at around $6000 per square foot).

David