PDA

View Full Version : g3 12" ibook, piss-poor wifi range

kogi
10th January 2006, 06:41 PM
OK, I have a 12" G3 800mhz ibook.

The wifi range seem extremely poor compared to my other puters.
It's about 6 meters.

Is there something wrong with my ibook or is it normal.

Fixable cheaply?

much thanks
kogi

Byrd
10th January 2006, 07:19 PM
The aerial connected to the installed Airport card is often flaky - you'll need to reseat it. Pop up the keyboard, pull out the aerial and push it firmly back in, making sure the little ball socket sits perfectly inside the Airport card.

JB

napes
10th January 2006, 07:21 PM
that sounds too poor to be normal... have you got the antenna and card plugged in properly?

kogi
10th January 2006, 07:22 PM
Yep. I checked card is in and working properly.
Antenna is plugged into card.

kogi

Rayd
10th January 2006, 07:50 PM
has it ever worked normally? or did you just install it?

bel.plews
10th January 2006, 08:06 PM
I have a G3 700Mhz iBook, my wifi range is better and stronger than my hubby's G4 Powerbook (which is very annoying to him) ...

What is your set up?
ie, Do you have an airport std or aiport extreme? ... OR
Is it a pc based wifi station?

What other computers are having better range?
Are they extreme based cards or std airport cards like your iBook?

:D

kogi
10th January 2006, 08:32 PM
Linksys router
Everything else is having better range.
nope, everything else is pc based

kogi :D

Byrd
10th January 2006, 09:30 PM
Alright, so as per my first post have you tried unplugging the aerial and popping it in again? :P

JB

spike@au
10th January 2006, 09:35 PM
Gotta agree with Byrd on this one, the antenna connections are deceptive. I pulled mine out shortly after purchasing my iBook G4...cant help but fiddle, and found the it does require a fair push to get it to seat properly in the connector on the airport extreme card. If its any help, I get a good 20 metres plus out of mine.

bel.plews
10th January 2006, 09:54 PM
if it is an iBook G3, definitely only working on a
802.11b PC equivalent ... have u tried it on any other wireless networks?

Is your router a Linksys WRT54G? I have had real problems with Linksys routers and mac integration before. <_<

There is only so far the aerial goes in, but it would be the first thing i checked but i found if it isnt in ... it isnt working? <_<

Can u test your laptop strength with another network say at your local mcdonalds or starbucks or whatever if u have an account or even better the local apple shop&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :D

Then you can rule out the router, then maybe it could mean the router isnt giving enough 802.11b signal strength. So it could mean u need to adjust the linksys settings?

Or try seeing if something in your house is interferring in your signal, i know when we turn on the clothes dryer at our place my back computer signal strength dies off ...

still thinking

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

forgie
10th January 2006, 10:41 PM
My iBook G4 (different, I know, but similar) has the best Wi-Fi reception of any laptop that anyone I know owns... I think it&#39;s due to the plastic case not interfering with the signal. I would assume that the G3s are the same. I am using my wireless broadband right now from about 30 metres away - through two thick walls :D

Are you trying to do this through walls? Some walls like wi-fi better then others. Also, I&#39;d second the &#39;reseating&#39; that people have suggested - a friend of mine had a Powerbook who&#39;s Airport had stopped altogether, but pulling it out, plugging it back in and reconnecting the aerial fixed everything.