PDA

View Full Version : setenv not working

decryption
2nd February 2004, 10:41 AM
I want to use CVS to get the latest Darwin source code, but in the Terminal, when I run "setenv CVSROOT" this is what I get:

Anthony:~ decryption$ setenv CVSROOT
-bash: setenv: command not found

Does anyone know why setenv can't be found?

jameso
2nd February 2004, 11:48 AM
setenv is a tcsh command, you are using bash. too set your path in bash u need to do this

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/qref/changevar.html#bash

\\Taken from that site

To temporarily set environmental variables for the current session, you should run

export VARIABLENAME="value"

For example, to set your path as mentioned above, you would type:

export PATH="/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/ucb/bin"

As in csh/tcsh, to set the variable for all sessions, you should add it to the .bashrc file in your home directory, then run source .bashrc to apply the changes.

jameso

decryption
2nd February 2004, 04:50 PM
Thanks jameso!

elvis
2nd February 2004, 06:38 PM
And while i'm here, might I just say thank you apple for making bash the default shell in 10.3. The entire linux-switcher user base thanks you. :)

jameso
2nd February 2004, 08:37 PM
I'm a tcsh user all the way

jameso

elvis
3rd February 2004, 06:02 PM
The oldschool BSD and UNIX users will probably be tcsh or csh users from way back. I'm not quite that old. My first foray into the shell world was RedHat 5.2 with bash. Up until 10.3 it was habit for me to type "bash" before doing anything in a terminal. :)

I don't know if it is Apple's way of tryig to attract even more linux users over or what, but I'm happy with it. :)

decryption
3rd February 2004, 09:19 PM
I've only used Linux a handful of times, all my UNIX experience is with the BSDs, so the sh shells are what I'm comfortable with, haha
But bash is pretty much becoming the default shell in every UNIX now... can't stop progress ;)

jameso
3rd February 2004, 10:29 PM
yeah. i blame linux. but i deal and move on

jameso