PDA

View Full Version : Sluggish Mac

Alveric
16th February 2013, 06:41 AM
Hi all,

My mid-2010, 13" MBP has gotten very sluggish over time. I am constantly getting the spinning ball of death when switching between open apps and even loading web pages. This Mac was upgraded to Lion over a year ago. Is there anything that can be done that doesn't involve a nuke and pave?

TIA

grfxninja
16th February 2013, 09:45 AM
How much free space do you have on your hard drive?
How much RAM in the machine?

Alveric
16th February 2013, 12:43 PM
4 GB in RAM. The HDD is a 320 giger with ~170 GB free.

Mutters
16th February 2013, 12:57 PM
Had the same problem with a similar machine.

After much mucking about, the solution was a re-install of the OS.

One thing to check is Activity Monitor for some application gone feral, plus, even though your HD is no where near saturated it may be on its last legs.

Alveric
16th February 2013, 01:13 PM
The one app that is eating the more RAM is Firefox @ 713MB, along with the Firefox Plugin Process (Shockwave Flash) @ 138 MB. Then there's the kernel task @ 472MB. Are these numbers 'normal' or high?

Mutters
16th February 2013, 01:24 PM
What about the cpu?
As to the ram allocation, I think it's normal, but I'm not sure why a kernel task would be running.
Others out there will know a lot better than I.

Alveric
16th February 2013, 01:42 PM
CPU doesn't seem taxed: it's sitting at ~96% idle.

As for the RAM allocation: Wired = 419 MB; Active = 2.09 GB; Inactive = 1.04 GB; Free = 216 MB (this one is sometimes as low as 18 MB); Swap = 92MB/256MB; Page Ins = 166,014; Page Outs = 3,225.

How the memory is handled in OSX has always been a mystery to me.

Mutters
16th February 2013, 01:52 PM
I'm assuming you mean ~4% activity - when I first saw the 96% figure, whoa!

As to memory, I don't understand it either, but tend to close programs that hog it when situations like this arise.
As I say, a re-install fixed the problems here.

Mutters
16th February 2013, 02:35 PM
What about the cpu?
As to the ram allocation, I think it's normal, but I'm not sure why a kernel task would be running.
Others out there will know a lot better than I.
Shows how much I don't know. My kernel_task is taking 820MB - rmbp.

Also, there are Terminal commands that give a better understanding of memory allocation, but, as it says (in Terminal) tread very warily or you can lose vital system data with an incorrectly typed command - oops!

Alveric
16th February 2013, 02:38 PM
Oh yeah, 4-5% activity. I'm really reluctant to do a nuke & pave. I dunno in Mac OS, but in Windows it's a major hassle. All day reinstalling OS and apps and you always end up losing something, either data or customisations or both.

nibbles
16th February 2013, 02:45 PM
If you go the reinstall route, make a bootable backup using something like Carbon Copy Cloner that way if you can't work something out you can restore it to exactly how it was.

Mutters
16th February 2013, 02:54 PM
If you go the reinstall route, make a bootable backup using something like Carbon Copy Cloner that way if you can't work something out you can restore it to exactly how it was.
Good advice. That's the way I normally do it, and it keeps everything as it was.
Even though I've re-installed the system more than a few times with no loss of data, but Carbon Copy Cloner is the best insurance, for sure.

Oldmacs
18th February 2013, 07:54 PM
I advise a clean install of 10.8.1 :)

FineWine
19th February 2013, 12:47 AM
You can always use a third party program to clean out all those caches and other junk collectors. I personally use YASU (http://jimmitchell.org/yasu/) but others use ONYX (http://www.titanium.free.fr/downloadonyx.php)
but in the end if all else fails then a fresh install is the trick. I just did ML pre-xmas. I only used TimeMachine/Migration for Mail, Documents & two Application Support folders. All my media is on an ext HD. The speed increase I got was good but not significant on my 2006 imac 7.1 though I did reclaim a goodly amount of HD.

jsarchibald
19th February 2013, 06:05 AM
My wife's MBP was having issues similar to this. None of the meters showed any weakness in specs, and an eventual hard drive swap fixed it. I used the old drive in a known working machine, and it slowed it right down.

jleetj
20th February 2013, 02:34 PM
Same here. Swapped the HDD for an SDD in my 2008 iMac, solved the beachball problem and gave it a huge speed boost!

Buttercup
5th March 2013, 03:52 PM
I had a similar problem. My MacBook slowed to a crawl then had a feinting spell. See the thread:
http://www.mactalk.com.au/11/113267-slow-macbook-what-else-can-i-toss-2.html
I received lots of good, relevant advice but it seems the major functional problem was the battery. I didn't realize it had bulged badly and thought the LT started rocking because my desk had warped. Bought a new battery from Better Batt for a third of Apple's price and all is now good. Speed is back to normal. Won't be upgrading the system as I have a new MacBook Pro. All I have to do now is get that on-line. (Another thread).

isamilis
27th March 2013, 08:36 PM
If you don't need iCloud and photostream, maybe you can use SL 10.6.8. I have iMac 2010 / 4GB RAM, was running Lion and upgraded to ML, used it for 5 months, and finally end up by installing SL. I've used YASU, reset PRAM, SMC to solve the sluggishness with no good result. I've also tried using new user account, but still found lag randomly. Now, I am a happy SL users :)

You can always use a third party program to clean out all those caches and other junk collectors. I personally use YASU (http://jimmitchell.org/yasu/) but others use ONYX (http://www.titanium.free.fr/downloadonyx.php)
but in the end if all else fails then a fresh install is the trick. I just did ML pre-xmas. I only used TimeMachine/Migration for Mail, Documents & two Application Support folders. All my media is on an ext HD. The speed increase I got was good but not significant on my 2006 imac 7.1 though I did reclaim a goodly amount of HD.