PDA

View Full Version : iBook screwed.. :'(

spilla
10th January 2006, 09:20 AM
HELP!!!
my iBook had been playing up the past few days (not going to sleep, waking up after goin to sleep at random times, apps not opening), so idecided to do a restart, and then.....a blank grey screen appears after the startup chime, and just stays like that.... what is wrong??? please help.... (and btw, i don't have any system cd's or anything with me, they are all back home in Aust.) :'(....

danno74
10th January 2006, 09:24 AM
You may have to take it into an Apple Reseller so you can at least access a System CD. Apart from that, try restarting and zapping your PRAM by holding down (I think this is right) P+R+Apple+Shift

Somebody please feel free to correct me if this is the wrong key combo...

spilla
10th January 2006, 09:27 AM
nope, the P+R+Apple+Shift combo didn't work.....and i dunno if i'll be able to get to an apple store any time soon.... :(

iMick
10th January 2006, 10:25 AM
Reset the PMU instead of the PRAM, that should fix it for you.

Check on the Apple support site for the steps for your specific iBook model. (They are different for each)

spilla
10th January 2006, 11:12 AM
nope, that didn't fix it... :'( .......does it mean much if the HD appeared to be making weird noises? they were just a little louder and bit more harsh than the usual.... :S

iMick
10th January 2006, 11:26 AM
I had an iBook that did exactly the same thing as yours is doing.

It would only work when i put it on its side!!! Ended up being a HDD that was on its way out. Replaced it and all was good.

spilla
10th January 2006, 11:54 AM
ok...it doesn't work holding on it's side......i think i'm gonna have to get the HDD replaced......how much does it cost on avg. to get a replacement 20gb HDD from an Apple Store? and can they transfer the data? or is all my stuff lost???

iMick
10th January 2006, 12:01 PM
I swapped mine out myself and I have the PDF service manual if you want it. It was a bit of a mission but worked out fine in the end and I got to upgrade my storage from 30 to 60Gb.

The HDD was around $130 from Umart in Brisbane which i reckon would be heaps cheaper than Apple (Never checked though) I just knew that the labour would cost a bit.

The big thing would be whether it is still under warranty still. I would imagine they would have a go at recovering data, but you would have all of your important stuff backed up right?? :huh:

spilla
10th January 2006, 12:10 PM
ummm......ok.......it's out of warranty by about 8 months....and my most important stuff on there (and the only stuff i care about that much) is my music, which, luckily, is all on my iPod (i can transfer that back using 3rd party apps....right?)....all my photos are backed up, i just need my parents to send over the tiger dvd and other app cd's.......is there any specific type of HDD that i would need to get?

macintoshrules
10th January 2006, 12:39 PM
Yeah, you can use TONS of third party apps to get the iPod music back to the Mac.