PDA

View Full Version : system password not working

The Fluffy Duck
9th January 2006, 05:07 PM
Ok I have only one acount and I have repared the permitions (aparently the default mac OH SH*% fixer :P )

Well as far as I know I havnt changed any passwords and my login passowrd doesnt work for some sytem wide things. But I can still login and use it to install things and cahgned system settings.

First of all, YASU doenst work anymore it says I have a bad password and when my mate came over to teach me unix commands we could not do anything becasue my password is bad.

It seems this "deeper" password has been changed :(

Help?

The Architect.mac
9th January 2006, 05:12 PM
Open Apps-Utilities- Keychain

Click Keychain menu and then Keychain First Aid

Enter password and then click repair

Restart the computer and see how it goes...

The Fluffy Duck
9th January 2006, 05:21 PM
nup it said no problems found. I restard and no effect :(

Currawong
9th January 2006, 05:53 PM
First, the Keychain has nothing to do with system passwords.

Second, I'm a bit confused - what is Yasu? Can you login normally to your account? What are you trying to do in the terminal? In the terminal, sudo is usually used to get root privs, either in front of a command or by using sudo -s to get a root shell.

The Fluffy Duck
9th January 2006, 06:42 PM
its a system program that executes daily/weekly/monthly cron scripts gets rid of system logs and cleans out the cache files etc.

yeah sudos etc.

I booted off the cd and there were two acounts.
My acount and a system admin (root acount)

I have changed both passwords and to no effect. I also now have an anoying "other acounts" option I would rather not exist.

Exocet
9th January 2006, 07:21 PM
YASU = Yet Another System Utility. Its a silly little cron-script program that is pretty much redundant imo :P

Currawong
9th January 2006, 07:57 PM
For security, the root account usually doesn't have a password set and is effectively disabled. It's not necessary for it to be enabled as you can do everything with an admin account.

Having the "other" login option doesn't break anything. If you want to disable root, you can do it in one of the menu's in Netinfo Manager in /Applications/Utilities.

senhwei
9th January 2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by The Fluffy Duck@Jan 9 2006, 05:07 PM
Ok I have only one acount and I have repared the permitions (aparently the default mac OH SH*% fixer :P )

Well as far as I know I havnt changed any passwords and my login passowrd doesnt work for some sytem wide things. But I can still login and use it to install things and cahgned system settings.

First of all, YASU doenst work anymore it says I have a bad password and when my mate came over to teach me unix commands we could not do anything becasue my password is bad.

It seems this "deeper" password has been changed :(

Help?
I'm having the same problem as well. When I boot up, it prompts me for a System Keychain password and none of the passwords I tried worked. Eventually I just hit "cancel" on that prompt, and the rest of the boot up process completes without any noticeable issue.

In Keychain Access, I notice the System Keychain is only used to store the WEP key for my home wireless network. But I can get online just fine. And in the Keychain Access, I can unlock the System Keychain with no problems. However, entering that same password on boot up does not work.

I tried the keychain repair process and it reported that no problems were found.

regards,

senhwei

The Fluffy Duck
10th January 2006, 10:42 AM
I guess I just have to live with it :( but now how do I get rid of that "other" password option when I log on its kind of anoying :(

Currawong
10th January 2006, 12:04 PM
Fluffy, see my reply above about removing it - I think disabling root might do it.

I'm not sure why the keychain would be asked for at startup unless an item in /Library/StartupItems/ required it. Maybe remove any passwords from the System Keychain and put them in your own key chain?

macintoshrules
10th January 2006, 01:21 PM
YASU:
Y is one key to the left of U
A is one key to the left of S
S is one key to the left of D
U is two keys to the left of O

USDO? Swap the U and S... a bad typo.

The Fluffy Duck
10th January 2006, 02:10 PM
well I disbaled root as you said but its still there I cantget rid of it :(

Currawong
10th January 2006, 02:54 PM
Bugger. Just leave it then...wont break anything and you only have to see it when you log in.