PDA

View Full Version : What will iOS 7 run on ?

Oldmacs
31st January 2013, 05:16 PM
This is just a complete guess thread but here goes:
iOS 7 will probably come out this year and I am interested in trying to work out what it will actually run on.

I think that it will run on :
iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Mini
iPod touch 4 (Its still being sold), iPod touch 5
iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5

That leaves only the 3GS. I have a 3GS and it runs iOS 6 very well- However sadly I don't think it will get iOS 7 though :/

A lot of people have been saying that the iPad 2 and the iPod Touch 4 won't get it. Hower the iPad 2 runs Fantastically, it is almost the same as the iPad Mini, iPod touch 5 and it benchmarks slightly better than the iPad 3. Plus it is still sold. Last but not least, I think that the iPod touch 4 will have to run it seeing that it is still being made as well :P

Alec Fraser
31st January 2013, 07:09 PM
I think it's likely that the 3GS will get dropped as of 7, I seriously doubt the iPad 2 would get dropped...the mini is basically the same gear in a smaller shell.

LCGuy
3rd February 2013, 07:38 PM
Another vote for the 3GS. It is, by far, the oldest iOS product still supported.

Oldmacs
3rd February 2013, 07:42 PM
:'( Oh well I still maintain that my iPhone is amazing :)

I am actually looking foward to this version of iOS as I *Hope* for a fresh take. I don't mind if it doesn't happen :P

LCGuy
3rd February 2013, 07:47 PM
I still like mine too...and I'm disappointed, but at the same time, its coming up to being a 4 year old model...4 years is a *long* time in the world of mobile phones, so I won't be all that surprised if it is dropped.

Oldmacs
3rd February 2013, 07:50 PM
Yeah :) Well iOS 7 won't actually be released till August/September when it will be 4 years and 2 months old!!

Oh well it will be on my iPad :P

davemc
3rd February 2013, 08:04 PM
The odds of my iPad2 running ios7 is low the ipad5 will be out and they will need to move units. The fact it's the same chip as the current mini prob not make a difference. The iPad2 missed out on things now like SIRI that the mini has.
I say the same for the iphone4 sadly I have both

hendot
3rd February 2013, 08:45 PM
The next iOS will run on the iPad2. Apple are still selling iPad2's, so they will continue to support them through the next iOS release at least.

Having said that, there will probably be a few features that are exclusive to the new iPad, and others that will be excluded from the iPad2.

Oldmacs
3rd February 2013, 09:51 PM
I was going to say the same! They HAVE to support the iPad 2 as they are still selling it. They support the iPod touch and iPad mini so they must have to support it.

rav3n
3rd February 2013, 11:04 PM
They don't have to do shit. Just because they're still selling it and its internals are basically the mini's, doesn't mean they have to keep supporting it. Apple know whats best for you, not you.
/fanboy

Oldmacs
4th February 2013, 06:26 AM
More like apple knows best for my wallet.......

samuelowens
4th February 2013, 07:36 AM
IMO, the 3GS will get the chop. The iPad 2 and iPad mini have more oomph than an iPhone 4 as well (dual core processors)... So I see it playing out as follows:

iOS7: 3GS dropped; iPhone 4, iPad 2, iPad mini (non-retina) sales stopped but still supported; iPhone 4S becomes cheap model
iOS8: iPhone 4, iPad 2, iPad mini (non-retina) dropped; iPhone 4S sales stopped but still supported; iPhone 5 becomes cheap model
etc, etc

paronga
4th February 2013, 09:54 AM
dont people think it'll be a chipset affair?

A5 (iPad 2, iPad mini, AppleTV, iPod Touch 5), A5X (iPad 3, possibly iPad mini/updated AppleTV), A6 and A6X is a given. These will get iOS 7

i would have thought maybe the A4 would get culled, but probably not considering how the 3GS is going. But it'll probably have reduced features included, as happened to the iPhone 4. the original iPad will probably be treated the same as the iPhone 4, but that was a fairly gimped product unfortunately. I expect it to make the cut but who knows.

icant
4th February 2013, 11:16 AM
Doesnít run on my Stylewriter II.

danielhindes
6th February 2013, 07:08 AM
Fingers crossed for iPhone 3gs :-D I can't believe it's still working like the day I bought it :-D

davemc
6th February 2013, 07:17 AM
Depends if ios7 released before next hardware release. I expect ipad5 and ios7 the same time.
Hence they will not be selling ipad2 and hence dropped. iPad mini will not be even though same chip.
Ipad1 was dropped out very quickly

Oldmacs
6th February 2013, 07:20 AM
Well they kept the 3GS running ios 6 when it was over 3 years old at the release. The iPad 2 is still sold and is only 2 years old. Plus the iPad 1 had too little ram and ends ran ios 5 badly.

Deanodriver
6th February 2013, 08:06 AM
Chances are it'll be fine for all A5 and A6 devices, along with the iPhone 4.

Oldmacs
6th February 2013, 09:29 AM
And iPod touch 4 in a very limited way!!!

Deanodriver
6th February 2013, 09:34 AM
Somehow I doubt the 4th gen touch will be supported...remember it has less RAM than the iPhone4, and as much as the first-gen iPad.

A series processor and 512MB RAM sound like likely requirements.

Oldmacs
6th February 2013, 12:22 PM
The iPod touch 4 is still Being sold......

Appleaday
6th February 2013, 12:27 PM
If Apple do release a "cheap" iPhone this would possibly add a complication - maybe the 3gs will become that cheap model - just a thought.
Have to agree with the comments about the 3gs - after 4years still works fine - my better half is more than happy with it.

savas
6th February 2013, 02:13 PM
As much as we love the 3GS, it has technology and a design that is nearly five years old.

If there were to be a cheap iPhone I think it would be like the 2009 unibody MacBook - a product that was well built and looked alright, yet cheaper than its aluminium counterparts. I'm not sure that chamfered edges would hold up well with plastic, but something in that style.

Oldmacs
6th February 2013, 02:45 PM
I highly doubt that the 3GS will run it. Sadly though it works perfectly with iOS 6 apple will want people to buy a new phone or not have to sit through poor performance.

rav3n
6th February 2013, 03:29 PM
I'd wait and see what apple do with ios7 before making a judgement on what will run it. If all they do is add couple new features and refinements to everything else like they have been, I don't see why hardware requirements would change.

savas
6th February 2013, 03:36 PM
Then you'd think the iPad 1 would've gotten iOS 6 - arguably a small update.

Unfortunately Apple wasn't to make any money out of updating it seeing as they were no longer selling it :(

Oldmacs
6th February 2013, 03:42 PM
We all know why the iPad 1 didn't get iOS 6- it had so little ram that it ran iOS 5 and and iOS 4 badly! Plus it hadn't been sold in over a year at that stage.

savas
6th February 2013, 03:46 PM
Sure it wasn't snappy, but still had an A4 which was faster than the 3GS. I believe planned obsolescence over performance concerns.

Oldmacs
6th February 2013, 04:16 PM
But it was pushing many more pixels. I was using an iPad one today and it was a nightmare - laggy, jerky ECT. Where as my iPhone does well.

savas
6th February 2013, 04:24 PM
I used to have one but I'm not into gaming or anything graphics intensive so it was okay.

They could've at least pushed out an update to allow iMessage caller ID with phone numbers. Pretty useless without that.

Oldmacs
6th February 2013, 04:31 PM
I was using one today for Internet research and pages- it just frustrated me so much!!!!