PDA

View Full Version : Static Electricity Vibration On Macbook Air

bornstein75
30th January 2013, 02:01 PM
Hi Guys,

Has anyone else experienced this:

I have been using my 2012 MacBook Air for a while now and when I have it plugged in to a power board using the supplied 2 prong charger, I can feel electrical vibrations running through the body of the MacBook.

I always felt it, but I never thought anything of it, until a few days ago when I thought is this normal?

Upon further discovery it seems like this is an issue with MacBook Airs and even MBPs. The 2 prong charger doesnít earth the machine so one can feel electrical charges in the form of vibrations running through the machine.

If I plug in the extension cord that came with the MBA which has a 3 prong plug, it earths the MBA and the vibrations disappear.

To me this seems like a pretty big issue and apparently something that Apple wont acknowledge is an issue or fix. Apparently they say it's not harmful and meets standards. The solution is to use the extension cord,which can be a pain to carry around, but why on earth not supply a 3 pronged plug with the standard charger?

Also this canít be too healthy having an electrical charge tingling ones skin when using the machine.

I found a large thread on the Apple Support Communities about this as well as the Mac Rumors forum.

Check out this thread here: Thread (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2663087?start=30&tstart=0)

I have booked in a Genius Bar Appointment to see what they say.

But in the meantime has anyone else experienced this and what have you done about it?????

tcn33
30th January 2013, 02:04 PM
I think I speak for most of MacTalk when I say: meh.

bornstein75
30th January 2013, 02:22 PM
Thanks for your help....not!

What an arrogant answer.

bennyling
30th January 2013, 02:48 PM
Just so you know, OP, this has been an "issue" since 2005: http://www.mactalk.com.au/24/10120-merged-powerbook-shock-grounding.html

So yeah, nothing really new, and nothing really to be concerned about.

Be interested to see what the Genius response is, though. Post back in the thread when you hear from them!

Meh 626
30th January 2013, 02:52 PM
You can feel electricity vibrating your Mac??

Simple solution: use the 3-pin extension cord.
I think the Geniuses will tell you the same thing!

Klytia
30th January 2013, 02:55 PM
I think I speak for most of MacTalk when I say: meh.

Speak for your self, no one else, "Meh" sums it up to a level of intelligence related to the ant that I just stood on! Wake up and give an answer to a good question posted up......

bornstein75
30th January 2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks for your responses guys, much appreciated.

The 3 prong extension cord does solve the issue. I'm just curious why they would sell a machine with the 2 prong cord if it causes this electrical leak.

Just seems weird to me. Especially if its been known since 2005.

Anyway I'll post back with what the geniuses say which will probably be to use the extension cord...:)

tcn33
30th January 2013, 03:15 PM
Wake up and give an answer

Well, let's see. It's not a new phenomenon (as Benny's link indicates), it's not dangerous (it might be if it were static, but it isn't - the product wouldn't have been certified by the various bodies if it were unsafe) and there's a simple way to avoid it occurring. Yet OP thinks it's a "pretty big issue" and wants Apple to acknowledge it as such. What do you want Apple to do? Provide a three-prong power cord? They did that already.

Bit of a first world problem IMO.

nibbles
30th January 2013, 03:57 PM
I notice it about as much as running my hand against the grain on a piece of timber, you can feel the difference if you know it's there. For the most part I don't even notice it on my MacBook Air and somedays I'll spend hours with it connected to the charger and on my lap.

You'll definitely notice it more during the humid weather we've been getting lately but it's not exactly unsafe, if it bothers you, use the 3 pin lead.

As for Apple not including the earth pin on the duckhead, It's probably more than a simple "because we couldn't be bothered" or "it's too expensive to add an extra prong to it". Who knows.

Ashka
1st February 2013, 02:05 PM
I also have a MBA with the unearthly tingle :)
Solar > Batteries > Inverter > 4 point Power box. Tyres on Motorhome negate any possible earthing with two or three pronged plugs.
6 years with MBP, a couple of iPads and an iPhone as well as the recent MBA. No problems to date so personally I'd relax & not worry about it.

simonm
22nd February 2013, 09:45 PM
Lol @unearthly tingle!

Like you I find the vibrations annoying and slightly disconcerting, and as you say when the solution is as simple as supplying a 3-pronged connector instead of 2-pronged it seems a bit cheap for Apple not to do that.

I'm not aware of any third party connectors but maybe you can suggest to a peripheral manufacturer they should make one?