PDA

View Full Version : OSX 10.9 ????

Oldmacs
21st January 2013, 10:08 AM
Sooo.... .
Remember in febuary last year when we were surprised about Mountain Lion??
Since Apple is now on a yearly OSX release cycle I would expect to see a preview of the next OSX quite soon :)
Any ideas of whats going to be in it?
I'm going for siri for starters, Possibly iBooks?

SteveClark
21st January 2013, 10:14 AM
I think the Maps app will appear as well.

Alec Fraser
21st January 2013, 10:31 AM
Or they may skip 10.9, do a complete revamp and iOSification and go straight to 11?

Oldmacs
21st January 2013, 11:19 AM
I think that they will have one- Tim cook said it was to be released in 2013 in an interview.....
I think they wil push an update- but In similar way to how they did the whole os 8 and 9 thing in that we will get a better version of osx in the meantime while jony Ive and his crew devolp the next majoir version ie osx 11 which will be quite different. I think also 10.9 has been showing up in logs anyway :)

rav3n
21st January 2013, 11:27 AM
Or they may skip 10.9, do a complete revamp and iOSification and go straight to 11?

Doubt it, there was a report somewhere that devs were showing os 10.9 had been accessing their website, or app or something. Hopefully they improve the pos that is finder, don't really care for siri. I'd expect apple maps to replace googles in things like iphoto etc. Hopefully ibooks comes to the mac. Maybe they could ditch hfs+ in favour of a better/newer file system. Personally i'd like to see the option of not having the dock, I find myself using gestures and launchpad more and more and the dock just doesn't serve a purpose for me anymore. Apple will probably call it os 10.9 "ocelot", but im hoping for this
http://a0.img.mobypicture.com/9433a37292d1f3b5418481a1eca591f9_view.jpg

andyrb
21st January 2013, 11:38 AM
http://a0.img.mobypicture.com/9433a37292d1f3b5418481a1eca591f9_view.jpg

Why can't this be reddit so I can upvote this?

Oldmacs
21st January 2013, 11:51 AM
Hahahah!!!
Not sure if they would remove the dock though- I can just see people being annoyed by that :P
I think that iCloud 'Work bags' would be cool- You'd be able to transfer your Current iWork documents, Open tabs in safari, Notes and emails and everything like that as one 'Work bag' so you could seamlessly transfer between using iOS devices and Macs- I know you can use icloud to re- setup your workspace but it would be cool to be able to do it simply and automatically :)

rav3n
21st January 2013, 04:08 PM
Why can't this be reddit so I can upvote this?

Oh I know. I know i've been on reddit too long when I go looking for the upvote arrow on other sites.

Not sure if they would remove the dock though- I can just see people being annoyed by that
I didn't mean entirely remove, just the option to not use it if you wanted.

Oldmacs
21st January 2013, 07:32 PM
Thats probably a good idea then :P

Steve_D
21st January 2013, 09:09 PM
I'm really hoping they finally bring iBooks to the Mac with 10.9. Maybe even the ability to play iOS games via some form of native emulation too.

The thing that I'm dreading is having to upgrade my machines. I have a feeling that the next round of OS upgrades will kill off anything pre 2009. (so basically the nVidia late 2008 machines).
Not that i couldn't use the upgrade, i just wish they would hurry up and decide what they are doing with the Mac Pro so i can finally know that i can update my iMac without regretting it 3 months later.

james the 2nd
21st January 2013, 09:16 PM
iBooks to the mac is a great call!

That would be awesome.

Oldmacs
21st January 2013, 10:32 PM
I've been waiting for iBooks for OSX for a while now :)
I don't think that many machines will be killed off with 10.9 given that its probably going to be a small update....... (I hope)
Then again I am still ticked off at Apple for dropping support for my Early 08' White Macbook...... When it still ran and all that was needed was an EFI update.. GRRRR

This could be an interesting read :) Which Macs Might OS X 10.9 Leave Behind? (http://lowendmac.com/ed/royal/12sr/os-x-10.9-speculation.html)

rav3n
21st January 2013, 11:21 PM
I think apple drop support for things for no other reason then because they can. Anything pre 09=gone

Oldmacs
21st January 2013, 11:39 PM
:(
Sigh And to think that my 1999 Sawtooth G4 could run 10.5 which was Apples current operating system up to 2009.

It will be interesting to see the reasons for eliminating these Macs- :P
Possibly 'Grumpy Cat doesn't like your computer'

The Fluffy Duck
21st January 2013, 11:55 PM
Well if they could strip all the shoehorned ios crap from the last two releases, I think it will be a better os for it. Focus on cutting edge technology again like they used to *cough* xgrid *cough*. So they can once again say "the most powerful os on the planet".

Im sorry guys but I remember when Apple had a pro market.

Oldmacs
22nd January 2013, 12:26 AM
Just saying- Some of the iOSification has been for the better-
Though some hasn't. I really love having Reminders, Find my Mac, Notes, Messages, Notifications centre.
However I do agree, each release needs more bigger features that are cutting edge rather than been introduced on iOS half a year ago or more.

Exocet
22nd January 2013, 06:42 AM
Apple will probably call it os 10.9 "ocelot", but im hoping for this
http://i.imgur.com/Lzlyk.jpg

nibbles
22nd January 2013, 08:22 AM
Just saying- Some of the iOSification has been for the better-
Though some hasn't. I really love having Reminders, Find my Mac, Notes, Messages, Notifications centre.
However I do agree, each release needs more bigger features that are cutting edge rather than been introduced on iOS half a year ago or more.

Reminders, Notes, Gestures. They are the only things that really spring to mind as great iOS to Mac features. Launchpad ugh, notification centre meh, Mac App Store meh, probably more that I've disabled/forgotten.

Oldmacs
22nd January 2013, 08:40 AM
Oh and add iWork iCloud syncing :)

Peter Wells
22nd January 2013, 09:24 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Lzlyk.jpg

I enjoyed Archer, but never really understood the total love for it, until that scene. BABOU!

The Fluffy Duck
23rd January 2013, 01:20 AM
All apple have been doing the last couple of years is re-adding IOS "features" into the operating system. To put it another way, standing still while giving the illusion of progress. There is a backlog of technological innovations and standards that could be introduced into OSX, but no we have to get reverse scrolling and launchpad. KMN.

For example. The way OSX handles 3D acceleration needs some serious attention. OpenGL only? Come on, seriously. Microsoft has sunk alot of investment into Directx which has paid off as it leaves openGL in the dust.

Competition is catching up.

kyte
23rd January 2013, 03:37 AM
I didn't mean entirely remove, just the option to not use it if you wanted. Surely hiding the dock and not using it serves the same purpose?

In any case, I wouldn't get too excited. 10.8.3 is still in beta.

ivey85
24th January 2013, 07:10 PM
All apple have been doing the last couple of years is re-adding IOS "features" into the operating system. To put it another way, standing still while giving the illusion of progress. There is a backlog of technological innovations and standards that could be introduced into OSX, but no we have to get reverse scrolling and launchpad. KMN.

For example. The way OSX handles 3D acceleration needs some serious attention. OpenGL only? Come on, seriously. Microsoft has sunk alot of investment into Directx which has paid off as it leaves openGL in the dust.

Competition is catching up.

the funny thing is, that apple introduced a lot of nice innovations, open cl or grand central but what where are they now?

teej
24th January 2013, 07:42 PM
the funny thing is, that apple introduced a lot of nice innovations, open cl or grand central but what where are they now?

Roughly 68 of the 90 apps in my Applications folder use GCD.

CrypticSquared
24th January 2013, 08:59 PM
I find it really annoying that there is such a lack of alarm clock functions/timer functions in os x. I love the clock in iOS and would really like them to integrate the features of the iOS clock into 10.9.

*EDIT*

And to add iTunes support to notification centre.

Orestes
24th January 2013, 09:13 PM
The addition of iOS features has most certainly not been better, which is why there's still a substantial number of users sticking with the last real version of OS X. Unfortunately, I do suspsect that the next version of OS X will begin to force peoples hands :cry: Ah well, you can't win them all and I'll still, much like the OS 9 days keep a copy of OS 10.6 particularly for the fact I NEED Rosetta for certain apps that have never recieved an upgrade from their PPC days.

I guess this is the benefit of running the last MacBook Pro that can boot into Snow Leopard.

AfterBurner_1
24th January 2013, 09:30 PM
I'm actually planning on moving back to 10.6 my experience with .7/.8 has been frankly greatly disappointing.

Orestes
2nd February 2013, 10:30 PM
Yes, I was the same... My experience with Lion was nothing short of disappointing so I didn't even bother with the upgrade to Mountain Lion.I actually factored that in though and made sure when I bought this MacBook that I'd have it for a good while and it could run Snow Leopard. Hopefully with Ives driving 10.9 development it will be a back to Mac release rather than a quasi iOS one. All signs suggest the next installment in Mac updates will be a Mac based event and probably for the Mac Pro, so here's hoping.

With my Mac being out of action due to a dead charger for the last week or so, it's really made me appreciate the full Mac experiences as compared to iOS and my iPhone, particularly now I've got my MacBook back. It really is just that much more pleasant to use a computer with a full feature OS. I mean, I can understand tablet PCs but leave it iOS to the tablets and give me a full desktop experience on my laptop, thanks. It really is just that much more pleasant to live with on a day to day basis.

A week with iOS shows me how much I can loath it at times and how much of a pain in the arse it can be to do tasks that should otherwise be simple. It also shows me exactly what happens when you over simplify things and clearly how it is not for the better unless you're aiming at people who would otherwise struggle to use a computer.

Oldmacs
2nd February 2013, 10:40 PM
I quite liked Both Lion and Mountain Lion :)

I liked Lion for adding Airdrop, Find my files, Quick view in Spotlight, Drag-able spotlight, Revamped finder, Gestures, New Mail Revamped interface generally, Tripple tap dictonair and Mission control.

I liked Mountain Lion for : New dock, Improved stability, Notifications centre, iCloud integration, Messages, Reminders, Notes and Safari 6.

I keep 10.6 around just for rosetta, because I really find it hard to use now- from my perspective after using Lion and Mountain Lion both from day 1, 10.6 feels dated and a lot of the functions I love are not in it

Orestes
2nd February 2013, 10:47 PM
There are some features I like about the later releases, but overall there is just to much of an unnecessary iOS influence. The only thing I would really want that isn't in Snow Leopard is AirPlay mirroring from the finder, I can do without the rest.

The other issue is the same as yourself, I need Rosetta for certain apps that have ceased to be updated for various reasons. I do maintain a partition with Lion in it for the odd app that's been coded in later versions of Xcode which aren't compatible with Snow Leopard, but I still default back to Snow Leopard just because it is what it is.

It's the last true version of OS X before the Forstall disaster. It is what OS X should have always been... There is many reasons why Forstall got fired and OS X is one of them.

Oldmacs
2nd February 2013, 10:50 PM
I would advise trying Mountain Lion- Its so much better than Lion.......

Orestes
2nd February 2013, 10:55 PM
The issue is I wasted the money in paying for a copy of Lion on my last MacBook, I don't particularly feel like wasting my money again on an OS that I will most likely not boot into.

I'd say in the whole time Lion has been out, my actual usage time with it would equate to less than 2 weeks. I've kinda lost the faith in Apple updates when I was super keen to upgrade to Lion and it was a steaming pile of manure upon its release.

I'd have to really get back to basics and try it out before I even considered upgrading to Mountain Lion.

Oldmacs
2nd February 2013, 11:06 PM
Oh well if you ever have a chance- try it out. With a small amount of fiddling you can make it act like Snow Leopard :)

Orestes
2nd February 2013, 11:16 PM
Yeah definitely, maybe when I get a chance I'll get a copy and upgrade my other partition. I've actually been meaning to upgrade to a larger capacity drive as 500gb isn't really doing it for me anymore. Maybe when I go up to a 1TB drive I might put on a Mountain Lion partition.

FineWine
3rd February 2013, 09:41 AM
I just hope they fix or put back what they:

BROKE: when printing contact list contacts not in alphabetical order (https://discussions.apple.com/message/19330865#19330865) :naughty:

and
FIX WHAT THEY TOOK AWAY: Mac Mail 6 is missing the "spinning wheel" indicator when checking for new mail (https://discussions.apple.com/message/19075663#19075663) :sad:

Peter Wells
3rd February 2013, 09:42 AM
I wouldn't stick Lion or Mountain Lion on a Core 2 Duo machine myself, for those, stick with 10.6.8

Oldmacs
3rd February 2013, 10:29 AM
Lion and Mountain Lion run fantastically on Unibody Macbook (White) iMacs with C2D and even on my old white Macbook. Pretty much everything that could run Lion was bearable. Anything in my household that is capable of running Lion is running Lion or Mountain Lion. :P

GrantR1961
9th February 2013, 02:20 PM
I wouldn't stick Lion or Mountain Lion on a Core 2 Duo machine myself, for those, stick with 10.6.8

I have a mid-2008 C2D iMac and 10.7 and 10.8 have worked fine for me, however I do *not* recommend VMWare Fusion (or Parallels for that matter) to run Windows VMs. The CPU gets worked to the max and 4GB is just not enough. One day I will upgrade this little machine to a newer version, one day soon maybe... :-)

adamd
11th February 2013, 10:32 AM
Hahahah!!!
Not sure if they would remove the dock though- I can just see people being annoyed by that :P
I think that iCloud 'Work bags' would be cool- You'd be able to transfer your Current iWork documents, Open tabs in safari, Notes and emails and everything like that as one 'Work bag' so you could seamlessly transfer between using iOS devices and Macs- I know you can use icloud to re- setup your workspace but it would be cool to be able to do it simply and automatically :)

Workbags sounds like an awesome idea. Probably wouldn't be all that hard to implement... applications are or should be in sandboxes. I'd love to be able to work on something on my MBP then slide on over to my iMac, "Open a desktop from iCloud" and have it ready to roll with the *exact* desktop from my laptop.. :)

#dreaming

EDIT: Also, Grumpy Cat FTW.

Oldmacs
18th March 2013, 03:54 PM
Rumour has it that 10.9 has been previewed to the journalists..... like last year, and that it will be announced in a press release next week :P

icant
18th March 2013, 04:00 PM
Oldmacs. Let me preview 10.9 for you. You install it, then all your computers explode. /jk

Oldmacs
18th March 2013, 04:21 PM
Lol- With my luck yes that would be me.....

nibbles
18th March 2013, 04:53 PM
Unlike previous releases, unless there is a killer feature, I'll be sticking with 10.8 for a while. The 10.6 & 10.8 releases seem a lot more stable than the 10.5 and 10.7 releases did so if this trend is to continue, 10.9 will be garbage for a while.

Oldmacs
18th March 2013, 05:42 PM
I will be updating as soon as it comes out :P
I am an early adopter :)

Jacko30
18th March 2013, 10:59 PM

Hahaha, it's kind of a contradiction with a name like oldmacs!!

I remember back in the old days when apple focused more on point releases rather than new OS's. Tiger made it to 10.4.11 whereas Mountain Lion has only just made it to 10.8.3... Or is the line between the two becoming blurred??

adamd
18th March 2013, 11:22 PM

I remember back in the old days when apple focused more on point releases rather than new OS's. Tiger made it to 10.4.11 whereas Mountain Lion has only just made it to 10.8.3... Or is the line between the two becoming blurred??

At least they're not taking on Mozilla's mantra of updates... In another 2 or so years we'll be up to Mozilla Firefox version 543193812...

auckland
19th March 2013, 07:40 AM
Im sorry guys but I remember when Apple had a pro market.

They were the days!

Oldmacs
19th March 2013, 08:52 AM

It is isn't it :P

I think its because there was far more time between the releases? From memory Tiger was 2005 and Leopard 2007?

bartron
19th March 2013, 08:54 PM

Ditto....because I'm paid to :)

Oldmacs
19th March 2013, 09:26 PM
Lucky Lucky you. I am just a technology guy who loves new software :)