PDA

View Full Version : New iPad 5 and iPad mini in March?

woofy
16th January 2013, 07:30 PM
I was just sent an advert from PADACS that amongst the email had an article saying that experts attending CES saw signs that a whole new iPad was coming in March which will be a redesign and a speed bump for the iPad mini.....not seen this anywhere else until now..

Apple iPad, iPad Mini | New Models In March, Analyst Says (http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/tablets/new-ipad-ipad-mini-coming-in-march-analyst-says-20130115-2cqj1.html)

We are about to swap over our iPads which is causing some contention for our company accountant, they could potentially hold off until march although our plans for some things will happen in March..so not sure whether to wait or what...

gehenna
16th January 2013, 07:43 PM
Well if an analyst says so, I'm sold!

No-one knows except Apple. And they won't let anyone know until a week out from the event.

Analysts talk crap 365 days of the year. They may as well be reading tea leaves.

Oldmacs
16th January 2013, 07:45 PM
I think it will happen- Though the effects are uncertain. I have a lot of people telling me how stupid Apples is to move to 1/2 yearly cycles- they are all samsung people who ignore the fact that Samsung releases products faster :P

lawrencium
16th January 2013, 08:11 PM
I have a lot of people telling me how stupid Apples is to move to 1/2 yearly cycles- they are all samsung people who ignore the fact that Samsung releases products faster :P

This can be attributed to people looking at the price point of Apple products and comparing it to relatively affordable (in comparison) competitors' products. Consumers, in general, are more willing to upgrade their device to the latest in a shorter time period if it is seen as relatively affordable.

nibbles
16th January 2013, 08:38 PM
I'd say go for it now.

You could wait until March and see no release, bite the bullet and get them and find they release a new model a month later or not until October. Nobody really knows what they will do, one can only guess or speculate.

I'm guessing the current model is more than capable for the tasks you want them for?

Apart from the lack of retina display (which is a relatively minor issue) I can't say there is anything wrong with the current one considering it is a first gen product.

woofy
16th January 2013, 08:46 PM
I have a current gen mini for my girls and wife at home, not really fussed about an update, it works fine for us. I can see our financial controller getting snakey if we update the new iPads early (we intended to swap around 3 yrs which will be April) and the new one obsoletes them almost straight away. We will be keeping most of the 1st gen for other uses, most of which will land in March so to get the best use/outcome we really still need to swap over by early March if not by the end of this month. Who knows when we will actually see the new ones. If they come early March however it could be feasible to wait until then and rent a few for the upcoming event I needed some spare for in Feb.

Sigh..it never ends....

ivey85
24th January 2013, 07:21 PM
i don't understand why apple should bring out a new mini after such a short time... the mini is still and was always fast. they should rather focus how to make ios more productive on a tablet

nibbles
24th January 2013, 07:54 PM
Cool story, though they have some 10,000+ staff at Apple so they could easily do both.