PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy an iBook?



Aleisha
8th January 2006, 05:23 PM
Hi,
I already have a 1.67 GHz 15 inch powerbook, but its just not as portable as my old ibook, and as I am going overseas on exchange later on in the year i'm thinking of going back to an iBook. Obviously I should wait until after macworld in case rumours are true, but I was just wondering if anyone had any guesses or heard any rumors about pricing on the new iBooks, if indeed they are upgraded.
TIA
Aleisha

dangelovich
8th January 2006, 05:25 PM
In all likelihood, the price will stay the same or drop slightly...
But this is Apple, and anything can happen.

Aleisha
8th January 2006, 05:28 PM
I'm kind of hoping they will come down a little so I won't have to sell my powerbook. Do you think it might be possible they will drop by a couple of hundred?

dangelovich
8th January 2006, 05:31 PM
I wouldn't bet on it... The Intel transition is costly, I doubt they want to make less money on any product lines...
Then again, average PC prices in laptops have dropped a lot.

Aleisha
8th January 2006, 05:38 PM
I read a few rumours saying they might drop prices by a couple of hundred dollars becuase they don't really compete with some of the entry-level pc notebooks. I guess I'll just have to wait and see, and if I have to i'll sell my pb. Thanks

SRG
8th January 2006, 05:39 PM
gotta say I don't see any great price drop as such no matter what happens.

It is more likely they will bump the specs up at the same price (or perhaps a bit cheaper).

I notice people are already reporting Ibooks with extra mem at the Apple store..

I still think (and I predicted this a long time ago that the Mac Mini will be the first and only Intel next week).

My logic is that it is only higher ends software that is proving hard to port so therefore the Mac Mini (and the Ibook before you all point that out to me I just don't think they are looking there at the moment and a Mac Mini media centre will be the announcement with Front Row) can go now as their users don't use any of that software.

Couple of more sleeps and we will all know ;)

knassy
8th January 2006, 10:29 PM
ive got a 1.33Ghz 12" ibook with 1GB RAM thats 3 mnths old. Id be keen to discuss some kind of trade (+ cash maybe) if your still thinking of an ibook.

Rayd
8th January 2006, 10:32 PM
defaintly wait till macworld! if the rumors are correct, the 13.3" widescreen iBook will be kick ass! :D

f1_power
8th January 2006, 11:31 PM
Prices will be fairly static - Remember Apple is making Tier 1 Hardware while Dell, Acer etc are making Tier 2-3 hardware.

Its always the same thing in life - You get what you pay for ;)

But a new iBook would be nice.

samuelowens
9th January 2006, 11:57 AM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/07/budget_ibooks/ provides a bit of an analysis of potential iBook pricing.

Me - I'm hoping for rev. A Macintel Powerbooks given that Apple still hasn't shipped my re-ordered Powerbook (the replacement order was placed in mid December)...

ethania05
9th January 2006, 12:51 PM
If you really need an ibook now then go get one but it looks like you have a powerbook anyway so just wait and see what they say at macworld this week. The old macs will still be supported for some years to come in software so you could get one now if you wanted to.

I wouldnt personally buy an intel mac, first generations of anything especially from apple are always going to have bugs in them.

Aleisha
9th January 2006, 02:08 PM
When do you think they will announce it? Will it be on the first day, or will major announcements come later?

tommelbourne
9th January 2006, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Aleisha@Jan 9 2006, 03:08 PM
When do you think they will announce it? Will it be on the first day, or will major announcements come later?
Steve's Keynote is scheduled for 9-10:30 am on the 10th (California time), and seeing as this keynote will be where Apple will make all of its announcements, we can expect to know about all Apple's new goodies by 5:30 am on the 11th (EDST)

designers_hub
9th January 2006, 04:25 PM
no.

not until the next update.