PDA

View Full Version : Rodime 66 MB HD

Oldmacs
9th January 2013, 11:12 AM
Hi All
I forogt I had an Apple HD 20- Today decided to see if its internal HD worked so I removed it and put it in my Centris 650.
It attempted to boot from it but restarted after 10 seconds of Happy Mac
Booted off Disk Tools and the message came up - The disk 'EWORK cannot be used, because it cannot be found/
I verified it in Disk First Aid and it scanned bought up a few problems and said "Problems were found but Disk First Aid cannot repair them- Something about an invalid sibling link? I tried erasing it - It only let me format in Macintosh 0K and then said erasing the disk failed.
It was recognised as a 66 MB Rodime Harddrive by another SCSI manger program.
Don't know what else to do?

mmulhern
9th January 2013, 11:58 AM
If it was recognised by a "SCSI Manager", would that mean it came from an SC20, not a HD20? SC20 had a SCSI 20MB HDD, while the HD20 connected to the Floppy port on the Mac.

I've been trying to get a working HD20, the first 2 are now designated "parts", and the 3rd, just recently aquired, is supposedly working, but I'll have to clear some access to my 512K so I can test it out.

Oldmacs
9th January 2013, 12:17 PM
It is a HD20- I took the internal HD out and plugged it into my Centris into the CD SCSI Port......
The casing says Hard drive 20......

Got Norton Utilities scanning it at the moment.

Byrd
9th January 2013, 12:28 PM
Are you trying to format it using the Apple SCSI formatting utility - if so you will need a patched version to work with non-Apple drives. Might also have been formatted on a slower machine with interleaving.

Oldmacs
9th January 2013, 12:32 PM
Yes- I tried the Apple One- Norton utilities is taking FOVER to scan the drive....

Oldmacs
9th January 2013, 01:13 PM
I decided to quit scanning and I found the Rodime utility- Erased the disk and now i having one MASSIVE but working (66 MB) Rodime HD :D

Oldmacs
9th January 2013, 01:18 PM
Anyone have an idea how old the drive would be?

mmulhern
9th January 2013, 02:10 PM
Well, the HD20 came out late '85 with a 20MB drive, so it looks like someone did an "upgrade", which makes your HD20 pretty unique. My guess would be that the 66MB drive is circa '87

The HD20 was released with/for the 512K which needs to use a boot floppy to access the drive. The later 512e and Plus could boot straight off it.

Oldmacs
9th January 2013, 02:57 PM
Well I did notice that there are cables taped off and it does look quite modified.......
It still has the Floppy drive port on the back.

macman142
17th January 2013, 12:15 PM
pics pics pics...

mmulhern
17th January 2013, 12:31 PM
Well I did notice that there are cables taped off and it does look quite modified.......
It still has the Floppy drive port on the back.

Are the photos in the other thread this HD20? If so, it looks like 20MB drive was gutted out, and a SCSI 66MB drive kludged into the case.

Oldmacs
22nd January 2013, 11:02 PM
Sorry Missed this completely
Yes that is the drive-
Does that make it have any value at all- Or does all the value get lost because of this?

- macman142 - I put photos up in the other thread :)