PDA

View Full Version : Teach Siri to Pronounce Names Properly

gehenna
4th January 2013, 08:58 AM
Do you have someone in your contact list that Siri NEVER gets right? She always messes up my fiancée's name and I've resorted to actually mispronouncing it when I talk to Siri just so she gets it right.

I just stumbled across this little gem on OSXDaily: Add Phonetic Spelling to Contact Names to Improve Siri’s Pronunciation (http://osxdaily.com/2012/12/14/add-phonetic-spelling-to-contact-names-to-improve-siris-pronunciation/)

As per the article here's what you can do to sort things out:

1. Open Contacts and tap “Edit” on the contact you wish to add phonetic spelling to
2. Tap “Add Field” and choose “Phonetic First Name” and/or “Phonetic Last Name”
3. Fill in the fields for how the name should sound then tap “Done”

Pure gold!

Jamesvdm
4th January 2013, 09:42 AM
That's genius!

Peter Wells
4th January 2013, 10:16 AM
Yeah, Siri kept saying Meh-gan instead of Mee-gan, which is one of Megan's pet hates, so we had to add the phonetic thing. Then for fun, Megan updated my contact to say she was my boss, so now she can say "Get boss dinner!" and stuff..

~Coxy
4th January 2013, 04:05 PM
Heh, I gotta try this too.
Now, if only there was a way to make her say onto instead of until.

brian_g
4th January 2013, 06:32 PM
Yeah, found this a little while ago. My wife's name is Deanne - pronounced Dee-Anne but Siri thinks its pronounced the same as Dean

Even easier is establish a relationship. Tell Siri Deanne is my wife and I can just say "Send a message to my wife", "Where is my son" etc. Next trick I want to try is geofencing. My son always calls from the station from a lift home. If I add the station before and tell Siri "Tell me when my son arrives at Seven Hills Train Station" - hopefully as his train passes through there I'll get a message and know to leave to pick him up. That will be cool.

savas
4th January 2013, 07:40 PM
THANKS GEHENNA!

I still don't understand the algorithms Siri uses to pronounce names, but "Savus" is 95% there. It annoyed me to the point I'd cut Siri off before she would pronounce my name, but now I can live with a little less rage.

baobab68
4th January 2013, 10:22 PM
I've told her how to pronounce my best mate's name but under some circumstances (eg in Maps) - she still gets it wrong. Some dopey programmer is using the wrong field or the wrong logic, but only in some apps.

nightelves
5th January 2013, 07:22 AM
The only issue with this is that the names get sorted by the phonetic name instead of the person's name.

Drifter
5th January 2013, 12:38 PM
its wrong because americans don`t say words the same as we do.

~Coxy
7th January 2013, 04:15 PM
The only issue with this is that the names get sorted by the phonetic name instead of the person's name.

It's also rather ugly that the phonetic name is shown so prominently on the contact card.