PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with new 2.5" external HD

vicmeldrew
7th January 2006, 06:08 AM
I installed a new samsung 100GB 5400 rpm 8mb laptop HDD into a Macpower Daisycutter (http://www.macpower.com.tw/products/hdd2/daisycutter/dc_400plus) yesterday.The drive's jumpers are set to master. The diagnostic LEDs do not indicate that there is a voltage supply problem.

At first it did not mount on my 12" 1.33ghz ibook, until I connected the external power supply. I can disconect the power supply after it is mounted iand it reads and writes fine. After moving my music library over I now I find the only way to mount it is to turn the HDD's external power on and then connect it to the firewire port .The drive seems to get quite hot while it spins but does not mount.

The system profiler shows this with the HDD mounted:-

ireWire Bus:

Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

External 1394 Storage Device:

Manufacturer: Macpower Peripherals Ltd.
Model: 0x1
GUID: 0x1D20E003E013E
Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec
Connection Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec
Sub-units:
External 1394 Storage Device Unit:
Unit Software Version: 0x10483
Unit Spec ID: 0x609E
Firmware Revision: 0x12804
Product Revision Level:
Sub-units:
External 1394 Storage Device SBP-LUN:
Capacity: 93.16 GB
Removable Media: Yes
BSD Name: disk1
OS9 Drivers: No
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
Volumes:
External HD:
Capacity: 93.04 GB
Available: 27.53 GB
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk1s3
Mount Point: /Volumes/External HD

I suspect that the HDD enclosure has a Prolific chipset (there is a square chip inside with 3507 on it). I was under the impression when I bought it that was a oxford 911 chipset. Could this be the problem or a voltage supply issue ?

Currawong
7th January 2006, 08:07 AM
Could be old firmware. All the troublesome cases I've had were fixed by updating firmware.

kim jong il
7th January 2006, 08:26 AM
The VIA PL3507 chipset is not 100% compliant with the Oxford 911 standard. Sadly an update to OSX 10.4 cures some problems and introduces others.

My advice to anyone purchasing a Firewire device or controller to make sure it uses the Oxford 911/12 chipset; the VIA PL3507 controller is not 100% compliant and just plain does not work properly on a Mac (it usually assigns all firewire ports/devices with the same ID for starters...).

EDIT 1: the PL 3507 chipset devices firmware cannot be updated under OSX, rather, they use kernel software patches that are rubbish and only work properly to a limited extent (sleep, for example is the most common feature not supported).

hawker
7th January 2006, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by vicmeldrew@Jan 7 2006, 05:38 AM
I suspect that the HDD enclosure has a Prolific chipset (there is a square chip inside with 3507 on it). I was under the impression when I bought it that was a oxford 911 chipset. Could this be the problem or a voltage supply issue ?
Google for the latest firmware update. and I'd do it quick. I lost data because of this with my ofxord 911 chipset :(

Byrd
7th January 2006, 10:19 AM
Ah yes the old Prolific chipset - I've a generic PL3507 USB 2.0/FW 2.5" external drive + 20GB IBM Travelstar HD that I never did get to work under OS X. Just noticed they've updated their firmware here (http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=44), which might be well worth a shot. Mind you, it refused to install any update previously (apparently 'A' chipset revisions cannot be firmware updated, but 'B' and 'C' can - I'm pretty sure I've a 'B') :P

Just found a good forum link here (http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?p=175351) which discusses various firmware and issues, but it's mainly Windows focused.

From your post I gather your external case has an external power adaptor? If not, another issue could be that either the FW or USB port does not provide enough power to spin a 5400RPM HD - 5V is not enough.

JB

hawker
7th January 2006, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Byrd@Jan 7 2006, 09:49 AM
From your post I gather your external case has an external power adaptor? If not, another issue could be that either the FW or USB port does not provide enough power to spin a 5400RPM HD - 5V is not enough.
Being a 2.5 I don't think it does have a power supply. That's interesting what you say about the power issue, you're probably right. But I'd update firmware first :)

You'd think it would support a 5400rpm hard drive - maybe not 7200 but still...

Byrd
7th January 2006, 10:31 AM
When I purchased the above PL3507 external case, the salesman said to not install anything over 60GB into it - a larger capacity requires more power than what a +5V USB port can handle (or FW for that matter). The old 20GB drive I have in mine is very problematic - it spins down when copying large files across or has data errors. Replacing it with a 10GB Fujitsu is slightly better, but I think it's just a dud chipset over anything else.

I've come across some external 2.5 cases which have dual USB connections to get 2 x +5V rails to the case - not a bad idea really!

JB

vicmeldrew
7th January 2006, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by kim jong il@Jan 7 2006, 08:26 AM
The VIA PL3507 chipset is not 100% compliant with the Oxford 911. Sadly an update to OSX 10.4 cures some problems and introduces others.

My advice to anyone purchasing a Firewire device or controller to make sure it uses the Oxford 911/12 chipset; the VIA PL3507 controller is not compliant and just plain does not work properly on a Mac (it assigns all firewire ports/devices with the same ID for starters...).

EDIT 1: the PL 3507 chipset devices firmware cannot be updated under OSX, rather, they use kernel software patches that are rubbish and only work properly to a limited extent (sleep, for example is the most common feature not supported).
I guess i am screwed. I bought it from an Apple dealer here in Sydney about 2 months ago which I doubt will accept it's return. i could have bought from here (http://www.epowermac.com.au/product.asp?numRecordPosition=3&P_ID=124&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=70) , which states it is oxford based. I would not have bought it otherwise, as I clearly remembered Currawong warning about this chipset.
Thanks very much anyway.

EDIT- missed Hawker's and Byrd's posts above before I posted. I need at least 80Gbs at the moment for my music library so a smaller drive is not an option for me, but as Bryd points out-

Replacing it with a 10GB Fujitsu is slightly better, but I think it's just a dud chipset over anything else. the prolific site warns against end-users doing a firmware upgrade. The board states it is a rev 1.1
I am so desperate for HD space, I am off shopping for another case.

Byrd
7th January 2006, 11:07 AM
Try and update the firmware from the link I've given above - yo've nothing to lose. Keep in mind you'll need to do this on a PC and off the USB port only.

Sadly you might be stuffed like me - the PL3507 I have does not work under OS X or Windows.

JB

Byrd
7th January 2006, 05:03 PM
vicmeldrew,

For once my 2.5" enclosure appears to work - using XP + USB connection for the drive, I was able to install the latest firmware onto the drive (using the older 2.0 utility) and it's running fine, not spinning down and copying files without drive errors.

Give it a try?

JB

decryption
7th January 2006, 05:23 PM
How can you find out which chipset an external case uses in Windows?
I'm having issues with my cheapass external USB 2 & Firewire 400 3.5" case, it often giving me data read & write errors :(

Byrd
7th January 2006, 05:37 PM
There is nothing to detect it really under Windows.

So unfortunately you'll have to pop the lid - Oxford and Prolific chipsets are clearly identified, look for something that says "911" "922" or "3507" on the bridge board.

Then plug that bastard in and flash over the latest firmware you can find. One oddity of the Prolific flasher is that I had to backup the previous ROM before it could detect the drive's chipset using the Windows utility.

JB

Shiekh
22nd August 2007, 11:31 AM

Why is a kernel patch rubbish?

Aladdin
22nd August 2007, 11:49 AM
When I purchased the above PL3507 external case, the salesman said to not install anything over 60GB into it - a larger capacity requires more power than what a +5V USB port can handle (or FW for that matter). The old 20GB drive I have in mine is very problematic - it spins down when copying large files across or has data errors. Replacing it with a 10GB Fujitsu is slightly better, but I think it's just a dud chipset over anything else.

I've come across some external 2.5 cases which have dual USB connections to get 2 x +5V rails to the case - not a bad idea really!

JB

I have a LaCie 2.5 inch external HDDs (FireWire+USB) which work fine via FIreWire plugged into my PBook G4. They are 100GB and 160GB in capacity. No need for another USB cable to provide power.

vicmeldrew
22nd August 2007, 05:45 PM
This enclosure went back to Macpower and it's board replaced by one powered by Oxford 911/Prolific 2507 combo chipset. Worked faultlessly on Firewire since then, but recently discovered it (and another Oxford 911 Macpower 2.5" case I own) won't support drives larger than 128GB.