PDA

View Full Version : Too Much RAM Causing Issues

b00
27th December 2012, 11:25 AM
So lately my MacBook has been freezing/stalling intermittently but frequently. So me having AppleCare I took it down to the Genius bar for them to Run extensive tests on it.

After having it since Sunday i thought i would ring up today and see how its going. Well they have got it to show errors with the RAM, occasionally. Now atm they are running tests to see if its 1 x Stick of 4GB RAM, both sticks or the ram slots on the logic board. I dont mind how long it takes as long as i dont have to go down there pick-it up and come home and the issue is still there. So its all good time wise.

However one thing he did mention is that i had more RAM than what Apple says is the max being 4GB. Would this affect the performance at all by having more in there. Anywho, from my research on numerous websites apparently it can take 8GB, that why i bought an 8GB Upgrade pack off of Ram City as opposed to a 4GB one. Now there not saying that is the issue, but it did get me wondering.

In my head im guessing it doesnt matter, but can someone clarify this for me definitely.

Its a Mid-2010 White Uni-Body MacBook w/8GB RAM upgraded from 2GB

Thanks

NinjaCatfish
27th December 2012, 04:26 PM
I really don't think it should matter, but if Apple couldn't find any other issue, it'd be an easy thing to point the blame at.

Steve_D
27th December 2012, 05:33 PM
http://i.stack.imgur.com/SWRZm.png

From Apples Official Technical Specifications pages.

Oldmacs
27th December 2012, 08:11 PM
Whenever I had to take my old Macbook (White) into the genius bar I took out the 6GB of Ram and put the 2 GB ram back in......
Apple like to blame RAM or anything un Apple specified as the cause of any problem.....

b00
30th December 2012, 09:30 PM
NOT HAPPY JAN!!!!!

Ok so I'm gonna vent alittle here.

After The apple Genius Bar having my laptop for the past week and returning it too me saying its working it was only a dud stick of ram. I get home and its not working. It keeps freezing. Here what i tried and what happened and the what I sent to apple in my comments on my next (About 5th Visit) Genius Bar appointment tomorrow.

START VENT BELOW::

"Working" 4GB RAM + SSD = Laptop Became unresponsive after watching a HD Video on Vimeo

Go to swap out RAM>>>

ALL BASEPLATE SCREWS MISSING

Known working Apple Original RAM + SSD = Worked for a short time until Freezing. Beep-Pause-Beep-Pause over and over again.

Original RAM + Original HDD = Weird beeping Sequence. Then worked once. Known working setup.

Had always had the complaint if you tap either side of the trackpad the computer freezes. This has never been addressed. Hours of Travel Time, numerous trips has proven to be worthless. WANT IT FIXED/REPLACED ASAP, instead of having to have it "fixed" over and over again.

END VENT

Steve_D
30th December 2012, 09:45 PM
Firstly.

Had always had the complaint if you tap either side of the trackpad the computer freezes. This has never been addressed.

That sounds like a short circuit somewhere. if you are prepared to rip the machine apart you can probably fix this by sticking some electrical tape over any contacts that sit under bare metal. But thats a pretty savage way of fixing these sort of issues.

Next on the agenda. Have you got the latest EFI and SMC updates installed?
EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Macs (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US)
If not i would do this asap. You may find that it fixes all your issues in one quick update.

If on the other hand it does not you can try working out what the errors are from the beep codes.

Mac "Beep" Codes

1 beep = No RAM installed/detected

2 beeps = Incompatible RAM type installed (for example, EDO)

3 beeps = No RAM banks passed memory testing

4 beeps = Bad checksum for the remainder of the boot ROM

5 beeps = Bad checksum for the ROM boot block

The first error

Known working Apple Original RAM + SSD = Worked for a short time until Freezing. Beep-Pause-Beep-Pause over and over again.

Sounds like the Ram was not detected. Was it installed all the way in?

The second error

Original RAM + Original HDD = Weird beeping Sequence. Then worked once. Known working setup.

Is probably either incorrect ram type or no banks detected. Depending on the beep sequence.

Take a single 1GB stick of ram and a standard HD and install both into your machine.
Boot it up while clearing the PRAM. Have the machine reboot and if it boots clean repeat the same process but using the other ram slot.

If this does not cause an issue try installing the second stick of ram (after a successful single ram boot) and see how that goes.

If all works then repeat the same thing but with one of the new ram sticks.

Rinse and repeat until you can narrow down the culprit.

b00
30th December 2012, 10:00 PM
Hmm. It won't even start for me atm using the known working RAM & HDD before the upgrade.

What does this mean?
http://youtu.be/53nsIffB3Ko

Oldmacs
30th December 2012, 10:05 PM
Maybe your logic board is dying? Or it might be two completely separate issues making it weird?

bennyling
30th December 2012, 11:38 PM
You recognise the pattern though, right?

SOS beeps

Means you have an issue with your RAM *but you might need to pull the battery on the logic board to reset the thing.

b00
31st December 2012, 07:16 AM
You recognise the pattern though, right?

SOS beeps

Means you have an issue with your RAM *but you might need to pull the battery on the logic board to reset the thing.

Maybe it is the battery then. Because Apple Just had the thing for a week testing the the RAM. So I know it's not the RAM that's the issue. Whatever the problem is, I have have had issues with All combinations of Original and Aftermarket RAM & HDD.

Still Doesnt address the issue of Tapping either side of the trackpad and having it freeze.

Also something as simple as replacing screws holding on the base plate. Come on Guys. Good thing they don't also offer tyre replacement on cars, or they may have left the nuts of the wheels. It's not like They were in a hurry to get it back to me, and forgot. They had it for a week testing + 2 days from the phone call saying it ready until I picked it up.

All I'm saying is after 5 x 2hr return trips to a Genius Bar I would have liked it to be fixed.

BTW, good job on the spoiler bennyling. Haha

b00
4th January 2013, 10:01 PM
All Good Now, Apparently it was a mixture of a dud HDD cable from all the testing and swapping out drives, and a dud logic board and a dud stick of RAM :)

Lol. Finally all sorted...... I Hope