PDA

View Full Version : Video encoding - G5 faster than Core2Duo?

cosmichobo
22nd December 2012, 01:15 PM
G'day,

PowerMac G5 1.8GHz dual processor with 2GB RAM VERSUS Macbook Pro Core2Duo 2.26GHz dual processor with 5GB RAM...

Encoding AVI files to DVD video using Toast

The PowerMac seems to be beating the MBPro every time...

Is that crazy?

cheers

cosmic

teej
22nd December 2012, 01:27 PM
How long are the encodes taking?

Is Toast running under Rosetta?

Are the disk subsystems comparable?

What does Activity Monitor show?

mjankor
22nd December 2012, 02:37 PM
G'day,

PowerMac G5 1.8GHz dual processor with 2GB RAM VERSUS Macbook Pro Core2Duo 2.26GHz dual processor with 5GB RAM...

Encoding AVI files to DVD video using Toast

The PowerMac seems to be beating the MBPro every time...

Is that crazy?

cheers

cosmic

Not necessarily.

IIRC, the C2D's were about equivalent to the G5's at the same clock rate for normal usage. However, in this particular case it may be a process that relies heavily on Altivec. If so, the G5 may well be faster.

cosmichobo
22nd December 2012, 03:52 PM
For 1.25 - 1.5 hours of footage, it's taking around 2 hours on the MBP, and 1.5 hours on the G5. That's encoding only - I'm currently saving as disk images, not burning, so the muxing hasn't been done either.

Both machines are using 5400rpm drives.

They are both using PPC version of Toast, so yes, Rosetta is thus emulating, I gather?

And Activity Monitor shows they both max out both of the CPUs.

mjankor
22nd December 2012, 04:33 PM
Wow, it's impressive that the Intel machine keeps up if it's using the Powerpc version. That's usually a very serious performance hit.

cosmichobo
22nd December 2012, 04:59 PM
Normally I'd just have used the G5 anyway, as the wife sits all day on the MBP surfing Facebook/Ebaby... But was pressed for time, so figured I'd use both... Also have to burn on the MBP as the only reliable desktop burner I have is my eMac, and it's in its box somewhere...

Well, so long as it's not another thing slowing the MBP down...

Byrd
22nd December 2012, 09:05 PM
They are both using PPC version of Toast, so yes, Rosetta is thus emulating, I gather?

Emulating and encoding at a fraction of the speed as to what the Intel optimised version of Toast would do :)