PDA

View Full Version : Cant install Os on a New HDD (not a mac question)

estoyloco
30th August 2004, 05:54 PM
Almost finished building a PC for my bro inlaw.

When i go to install the new copy of XP, i went to BIOS, made sure it boots off the CD and then i say install XP, it makes a new partition in NFTS or something then it does some loading files, then it says press any key to reeboot and reboots.

Then it basically reboots back into the same cycle.. like it takes me back the same menu, and when i click install XP(again) it says there is already a "windows" folder on here, etc etc.. so basically it goes in circles.

I was wondering if anyone knows what i can do from here.. i can do the initial steps and getit to load of the CD (looks like its in DOS) then when it reboots itself it goes back into "load of CD"mode bak to the DOS looking mode instead of the XP SETUP clolourful looking mode like it should..

Below are somepictures of the steps, what i mean! (these obviously arent frommy computer..Basically i cant getpast the SECONDpic.. as when it reboots it basically makes me go "pers any key to boot from CD" and goes tothe same DOS looking pages..

PLEASE HELP!!! i hate WINDOWS!
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPpro5setup.jpg
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPpro7setup.jpg

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPpro8setup.jpg

estoyloco
30th August 2004, 06:16 PM
Someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP... google currently isnt my friend....... somone must know!!!!

Disko
30th August 2004, 06:21 PM
iirc - after it reboots the first time, it shouldn't load off the CD, but just to make sure - take the CD out after it reboots. Let me know what happens.

estoyloco
30th August 2004, 06:34 PM
" A disk read error has occured" ,"press ALT+CTL+DEL"

I have tried mucking around in the bios to see what the problem is...

should it be reading off the HDD once i have done the initial setup off the CD, ie when it reboots??

Cos i put that as the second option HDD-0 in the boot list.. first CD, then Hdd-0

Disko
30th August 2004, 06:51 PM
ok - well, try formatting the HD but not 'quick mode'. Then - if you can, boot off the CD pressing F8. *hopefully* that'll give you the option to boot to the command prompt. If you can do that, run 'check disk' to test the drive...

Quamen
30th August 2004, 06:55 PM
Sounds like a bad disk to me.

Have you got access to broadband? You might want to try downlaoding memtest (bootable CD to check your memory) and a version of knoppix (bootable linux off of a CD).

You need to leave memtest running overnight, if you want to get any real results from it.

As for knoppix, once you get that up and going, you can play around with the systems and see what makes things screw up.

That's about the only way I think you'll be able to pinpoint the problem. Since you can't get windows to install properly.

teej
30th August 2004, 07:44 PM
Memtest can actually be started from a Knoppix cd, simply use the cheat-code memtest at the initial boot prompt.

I'd say the problem is with either your hard disk or your IDE controller. Care to give us a few more details on the hardware you have there? at least mobo chipset and hard disk.

purana
30th August 2004, 07:44 PM
Is the Xp install media even legit?

estoyloco
30th August 2004, 08:33 PM
hey just back...

Seagate 80GB HDD brand new
Gigabyte 8S655FX - RX MB
512MB some brand ram!

Whats the IDEcontroller? the cable that runs from the HDDto the MB?? mines GREEN! i can check and replace that..

when mycomputer firsts loads up its shows that its a 3.06GHZ P4 HT prescott or some BS
its also says 80GB somewhere after that and recognises and puts in BOLD that i have DDR400 ram

I got all this stuff new and SEALED at a swap meet thing.

XP CD is a burnt copy of a legit version.. so it is only on one other computer.. but that really shouldnt matter... i remember having some bother loading XP a while back but cant remember if it was this...

Any other suggestions???iwill go and try the F8 thing...

I cant getpast the initial formating in NTFS then the rebooting faze...

Is linux any easier to install??once i have linux would that make it easier to install XP?? or is it a HDD problem????

Let me know in the meantime and i will go try all your suggestions BAR downloading that program...

PS i built this computer last night myself but have used all new products etc...
and the HDD seems to be recognised!

estoyloco
30th August 2004, 08:43 PM
Stop Your Typing! i made it work some magicalway..

Its the old turn of the machine and turn it on again trick.....

I should haev known!

teej
30th August 2004, 09:10 PM
Good to hear

estoyloco
30th August 2004, 10:17 PM
If it aint one things its the other,..

USB ports dont seem to be regestering as USB2.0

It says refer to Windows Service Pack.. is that something from Microsoft?
Anyone had this problem??? i tried turning the comp on and off..that didnt seem to work, and the drivers that came with the MB have a USB2.0 patch for XP thats installed but still no work!

anyways thanks for allyour help on this non mac related stuff..

PS, there is a dude selling brand new 4th Gen ipods 20GB for $409 or soemthing like that in the COMTRADER.. im not affiliated with him... they are supposedto be international version tho..

Sorry to get off topic..

Byrd
30th August 2004, 10:23 PM
Sounds like your CD drive was selected as the first boot device, then perhaps the floppy drive (if you have one!), then the hard disk. It's almost always the default setting. I've encountered a similar problem, setting up the CD to boot of the XP CD under the BIOS. Under past the 'DOS' install screens, the machine reboots, and I set it back to C: as the first drive to boot from.

JB

decryption
30th August 2004, 10:58 PM
See, if you got me to build it for you, this wouldn't have happened :P
Seriously though, if you want me to come check it out personally and get it all working and nice and etc. (gratis of course), I'm free tomorrow morning until 3:30 and all day Wednesday :)

estoyloco
30th August 2004, 11:26 PM
Decryption, thanks heaps for the offer but its ok... i will figure it out.. I would have got you to build it but my BRO in LAW wants as cheap as possible as he doesnt want to waste any more cash on computers! this setup is pretty sweet and i did ok for a first time computer build!

I configured all my BIOS settings BYRD, i just dont know what happened.. Windows is junk at the best of time (IMO, when i've had to use it)... i will have to use it on my sisters old comp, until FEB-March next year unless new G5's come out sooner!!

A BIG THANKS TO YOU ALL by the way...

Quamen
31st August 2004, 06:28 AM
for USB2.0 support you need to run windows update from the start menu. Download and install the service packs and all the updates. Then go to add new hardware in the control panel and find the USB2.0 controller and get windows to install the drivers for it.

You need to get the service packs and updates anyway unless you want your computer to be completely virus infected the second it touches the interweb.

I'd download zonealarm or some other personal firewall on another computer and copy it over to this new one before you hook it up to the net.

Also grab adaware and spybot search and destroy for killing nasty spyware, and I'd also recommend grabbinb AVG free edition for keeping the computer safe from viruses.

purana
31st August 2004, 09:15 AM
As the above poster said... USB2.0 will not work until atleast SP1 or greater is installed...

You could download SP2 (260mb) and install it ;) (SP = Service Pack)

estoyloco
31st August 2004, 09:56 AM
im assuming the SP1 and SP2 are off Microsoft.com i havent downloaded them for my sisters computer which i'm using at the moment.. (not the new one forher husband) and i havent had any virus..although i have no virus warning thing... but since i have used FIREFOX idont get popups, strange programs etc etc..

If they are off microsoft they should downlad fairly fast, even at 256k adsl connection! i get 25kbps off limewire for windows so hopefully M$ webpage will be at least that!

Ohh i wish i had my G5! I can wait i can wait! i need to tell myself! If i go away over end of year break and have uni the rest of the time MARCH should come soon!!!! ahhhh

sorry

:D

Quamen
31st August 2004, 11:18 AM
It's funny. People like you bag the shit through microsoft and windows. Yet you don't even know how to download and isntall service packs and security updates. You don't run virus and spyware scanners, and you don't give a shit.

I reckon any trouble windows gives you is your own damn fault.

And you don't get them from microsoft.com....well you can but that's the hard way to do it. If you read my previous post you'll know the easiest way to do it, hell it's just as easy as updating your mac from the apple menu.

purana
31st August 2004, 11:52 AM
Quamen must be having a bad day...

Have they even released the SP2 via windows update (as a smaller dynamic update/download)? Last I saw you could only get the big 260mb SP2 package. Although I prefer downloading that package, as I can then burn it and give to friends who might not have broadband.

As to downloading it, if your with a decent broadband isp, you might find they mirror it locally for you and it will be a free download (especially handy if you don't have much data for external downloads, although most isps have huge plans now, so whats 260mb right)

Don't talk to me about PC's at the moment. I've been having real issues with a computer shop I bought my athlon board from 12 months ago, and as of the moment I have no refund and no working board at all. They don't even return my calls... hopefully dept. fair trading sort it out for me. Just as well I got realiable powerbook to use :)

Quamen
31st August 2004, 12:24 PM
:D not so much a bad day. More just a general hatred of zealots and fanboys :D

I'm pretty sure SP2 is now available through windows update. I used the 260mb download. It's been burnt to CD for when I re-install windows, it's got SP1 in it as well I believe so it'll make updateing a snap. If only I could get slipstreaming to work. That would be the ultimate install disc.

Bummer about your mobo. Hope it works out for ya.

Byrd
31st August 2004, 12:43 PM
For those wanting Service Pack 2, Microsoft are giving away free copies of the CD HERE! (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx)

Takes 4 - 6 weeks for delivery, good to have around.

JB

estoyloco
31st August 2004, 12:55 PM
Easy tiger..

The otehr comp doesnt have the net.. so im downloading it off this comp.. thats why i didnt do the updater thing... plus i would like to have the installer for times when i FORMAT and clean install XP etc... if i did the updater it would probably make it hard for me to locate the 270MBfiles downloaded to keep for this purpose.. plus i dont need it on this comp.. no usb2.0 etc..

I said in my firstpost that i suspected i need to get a service pack from windows. But i asked here just incase i got stuck in the meantime... sowhen i got back the answer would be here...

i think i have done pretty well for a zealot... which im not in the context you imply..

I still think windows sucks.... from my point of view and from how i have used it.... im sure its still gold for others...

One more question.. does anyone have the latest OFFICE for XP? does it run as fast as the previous addition? as stable?? which one should i use... i can get either version..