PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Red Screen of Death and Random Freezing >> Then Restarting

b00
8th December 2012, 11:28 AM
Hey Guys,

Lately my Macbook Has been freezing then unexpectantly restarting. It has done it twice this morning while watching HD Videos on Vimeo Fullscreen. One time is Froze, then came up with a Red Screen. The Red screen happened once last week, but just thought it was cause it didnt like the newly installed AutoCad Software. It then wouldnt start-up and would only beep at me three times, then pause, then beep three times.

Specs are:

Mid-2010 13" White Unibody Macbook
2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
8GB Ram
128GB OCZ SSD
Snow Leopard

Any ideas of what could be causing this?

leon
9th December 2012, 06:13 AM
3 beeps normally indicates dud RAM.

Maybe the red screen is caused by dud RAM and as you have an integrated GPU that utilizes the system RAM its possible that it is accessing the faulty parts then glitching out.

I'd try different RAM and see how you go.

Biallystock
9th December 2012, 07:44 AM
Also could be the hard drive failing or your Mac overheating.

Open Disk Utility and check the HDD's S.M.A.R.T. status, although I have had this report it as OK whilst it failed before my eyes.

Restart off your installer DVD holding down the d key to enter Apple Diagnostics.

Run the diagnostics several times and see if it reports anything.

b00
9th December 2012, 09:51 AM
Hmm i dont have an installer dvd. All i got is a Bootable USB with mountain lion on it. Is there any other way to run diagnostics. Holding down D doesnt do anything when i have the USB inserted.

Also what is to the right of the trackpad. Whenever i tap it with four fingers (force of a light hand clap) The Computer will freeze and bring up a random coloured screen. Sometimes its purple, cream, red, blue. Any ideas of what that could be?

leon
9th December 2012, 09:59 AM
As far as I remember, to the right of the trackpad is just part of the battery. I'm pretty sure the HDD is located on the left of the trackpad (opposite side to the optical drive).

Have you tried removing one or the RAM sticks and alternating them to see if it is a RAM problem? Do you have the original RAM with the machine to test out?

b00
9th December 2012, 10:08 AM
That's what I thought. Curious as to why it happens there though

Biallystock
9th December 2012, 10:09 AM
We were discussing the consequences of not having an optical drive, and Installer DVD to go with it, in another thread.

Guess this just goes to show how that would NOT be a problem!

Have you looked for Apple Diagnostic Tools on the USB drive?

Sounds like you are having serious problems. It would not hurt to take it into a Genius Bar if you can get to one, but they often just take the easy way out and and quickly recommend you have (very expensive) service on the Mac. When it's your money not theirs, it's never a problem.

Apple's knee jerk reaction to problems is not to spend time finding the prime cause, instead it replaces hardware until it goes away and charges you way more than the Mac is worth. Their charges for the industry standard bits and bobs is exploitative to say the least. 3 times what some of it costs bought off the street.

This is why I repeat myself at frequent intervals, buy AppleCare or equivalent and get rid of the Mac once the support runs out. The gamble isn't worth it.

b00
9th December 2012, 10:43 AM
We were discussing the consequences of not having an optical drive, and Installer DVD to go with it, in another thread.

Guess this just goes to show how that would NOT be a problem!

Have you looked for Apple Diagnostic Tools on the USB drive?

Sounds like you are having serious problems. It would not hurt to take it into a Genius Bar if you can get to one, but they often just take the easy way out and and quickly recommend you have (very expensive) service on the Mac. When it's your money not theirs, it's never a problem.

Apple's knee jerk reaction to problems is not to spend time finding the prime cause, instead it replaces hardware until it goes away and charges you way more than the Mac is worth. Their charges for the industry standard bits and bobs is exploitative to say the least. 3 times what some of it costs bought off the street.

This is why I repeat myself at frequent intervals, buy AppleCare or equivalent and get rid of the Mac once the support runs out. The gamble isn't worth it.

Thankfully I have AppleCare. It's just a pain having to travel 2 hrs round trip. It took 3 trips down there to fix the glitchy trackpad and freezing issues. Trackpad is fixed and I thought that the freezing issues were fixed aswell. Guess not :(