PDA

View Full Version : Help requested with Automator and Dropbox

gumby08
2nd December 2012, 10:21 AM
I'm hoping there's someone who can help me create an Automator workflow relating to Dropbox files. I'm afraid I'm hopelessly lost when it comes to Automator, and spending an hour trying to figure it out has just left me more confused.

Each week I load files into my Dropbox folder which I then share with my sister via a Dropbox link. Usually the files take about an hour to load so what I want is a process whereby once the file has finished uploading, the system will launch the Dropbox website, find the new file, and share the link to the file via email.

Is this sort of thing even possible?

bennyling
2nd December 2012, 12:48 PM
Off the top of my head, no.

Automator is only on an OS-level, can't do things on websites etc.

Why not just get your sister to get a Dropbox account and share the file with her using shared Dropbox folders?

Peter Wells
2nd December 2012, 01:16 PM
Yeah dude, share folders with her automatically!

https://www.dropbox.com/help/19/en

(excellent avatar btw)

JaimeSharp
2nd December 2012, 06:06 PM
As has been said already shared folders is the best , while you could use automator in conjunction with a few scripts such as open url etc and set it to run via cron or ical it is a silly idea as it doesn't have the ability to send push notifications from automator to the Dropbox api you can make it send an email though it is a longer process.

Iwould just setup a dropbox account for her and install the app then make it run at startup and sync it there in set it to selective sync and set the folder to your shared folder which will notify her of any changes to that folder.

gumby08
2nd December 2012, 07:18 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice - such a simple solution! I'll save mastering Automator for another day :)