PDA

View Full Version : Final Cut Extreme, FCP 6, & 51"Display?

luxology
5th January 2006, 09:48 AM
hope all is true.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/finalcut6.html

uncyherb
5th January 2006, 10:42 AM
The 51" display is a bit of a stretch... while they are talking about a resolution of 4520x2540 I doubt that this would mean just a 30" scaled up to this size.

I'm guessing that we would see a higher dpi as well (much like on the new powerbook screens - the 17" pb has the same resolution as the 20" cinema display)... at 117 dpi (roughly the new 17" pb resolution) then a 4520x2540 display is about 44".

hawker
5th January 2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by uncyherb@Jan 5 2006, 10:12 AM
The 51" display is a bit of a stretch... while they are talking about a resolution of 4520x2540 I doubt that this would mean just a 30" scaled up to this size.
I dunno about this new monitor, but Final Cut Pro 6 sounds really awesome... If it has half of what they say it has, I'll be happy... Mind you, I wouldn't mind a release at MacWorld instead of mid year!

dangelovich
5th January 2006, 10:56 AM
I like the sound of the Red camera... 11megapixel video at 60fps is just nuts.... :D
I can't wait to see what comes out of NAB this year.

Can you actually use a 42" screen though? I mean, if it's as high res as we think, you'd have to be pretty close to it to see anything, but at that size, you'd be constantly turning your head to see different parts of the screen... Great for video, but I don't know how realistic an option it is for general use.

pipingfiend
5th January 2006, 11:39 AM
I'd say the chance of a 51" would be slim and who would buy it? based on apples pricing currently for a 30" it's going to cost an arm and a leg.

marc
5th January 2006, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by dangelovich@Jan 5 2006, 10:56 AM
Can you actually use a 42" screen though? I mean, if it's as high res as we think, you'd have to be pretty close to it to see anything, but at that size, you'd be constantly turning your head to see different parts of the screen... Great for video, but I don't know how realistic an option it is for general use.
Might just be something for video pros.

Most editing suites have:
1. Large TFT or two TFTs or two CRTs for the editor
2. Calibrated Sony monitor or similar (small CRT used for colour only)
3. Large CRT or Plasma TV for the client

Maybe this screen is for 1 and 3? I'm sure audio pros and photographers using Aperture would get into it.

luxology
5th January 2006, 01:13 PM
i think the new display would be more aimed towards, film production companies, as is FCExtreme. It would be a lot easier and cheaper for screen at full 4k.

Hopefully this will help Apple take the film marketshare away from Avid.

luxology
5th January 2006, 01:16 PM
42" is more realistic. 51" is big jump from 30".

hawker
5th January 2006, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by luxology@Jan 5 2006, 12:46 PM
42" is more realistic. 51" is big jump from 30".
I was thinking more along the lines of 42-48"....

grorr76
5th January 2006, 03:24 PM
the other rumor mentioned is a new version of soundtrack pro, i was just about to purchase it so better hold off as the new version witrh 5.1 sounds seriously exiting and the new surround feature on fcp 6 is also a huge and over due step. I absolutly love both programs so its very exiting to see them develop like they have, if only I had $100k+ for extreme B) a man can dream..

luxology
5th January 2006, 03:36 PM
extreme should cost $10K usd. so like aprox $15k aud.
not $100K+
wonder if it will include all the hardware, ie G5 box with necessary hardware.

yah, a newer version soundtrack pro will be nice. Hopefully Motion and Compressor will be sorted. Oh and lets not forget the "media manager"

even though FCP is great it can be better, especially with media management.

grorr76
5th January 2006, 03:53 PM
have to agree with the media managment side. audio needs a major upgrade. hopefully one day the sound area will be as good as the video within fcp the signs are looking good, that a fully functioning surround sound editor mixer with fcp will be in 6, will make my life so much easier, id love it if they allowed rtas and audio suite plugins to work in fcp , now thatd make my day

hawker
5th January 2006, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by luxology@Jan 5 2006, 03:06 PM
wonder if it will include all the hardware, ie G5 box with necessary hardware.
Yeah right!!!

G5 with new monitor and video card needed for new FCP will be like $10,000 Aus and then software, extra $10,000.... This is still cheap for editors. Most AVID suites cost around $60,000 - $100,000. Cheaper if you put more together....

marc
5th January 2006, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by grorr76@Jan 5 2006, 03:53 PM
have to agree with the media managment side. audio needs a major upgrade. hopefully one day the sound area will be as good as the video within fcp the signs are looking good, that a fully functioning surround sound editor mixer with fcp will be in 6, will make my life so much easier, id love it if they allowed rtas and audio suite plugins to work in fcp , now thatd make my day
Soundtrack is being groomed to take on ProTools. MARK MY WORDS!!!