PDA

View Full Version : PB G3, 333, USB how upgradable?

chocho
5th January 2006, 08:03 AM
hi all

I am looking at buying a powerbook g3, 333, usb and was wondering on how upgradable it would be through the pc card slot! would it be possible to obtan a fire wire connection, wireless and maybe usb 2.0! it has a cd-rom and a tiny 2g drive which i believe could be upgraded. i would mainly use it for the net and a bit of iphoto for storage. any info would be great.

thanks

Currawong
5th January 2006, 09:10 AM
I did exactly this, bought a firewire card for mine and used iMovie on it, though this was 4 years ago now. Upgrading is very easy in those Powerbooks as everything relevant was underneath the keyboard.

noisypoppy
5th January 2006, 09:13 AM
you can get FW and USB2 cards, just have a google around for them.

HD should be easy enough to upgrade
RAM will be a first to upgrade
if you upgrade those things you'll be able to run panther quite acceptably (girlfriend runs it on a 366mhz clamshell with not much problem)

cd drive should be easy also

Byrd
5th January 2006, 09:33 AM
Lombard G3's are nice machines - I recently picked one up with similar specs to yours, 333Mhz/256MB RAM/10GB HD/Avaya 802.11b wireless card/CD-ROM for $100 :thumbup: Why it was cheap was because it has an issue with a very loose screen hinge that I'll fix up soon.

Since then I've upgraded it to:

- Overclocked 333 to 433Mhz! :D
- Generic Firewire card - given to me by a mate
- 40GB Fujitsu 5400RPM 8MB cache HD - $105
- More RAM lying around - now 384MB total
- Reinstalled OS X 10.3

To me, it was very cheap to upgrade with parts I had lying around. With your idea of adding more wireless cards, pretty much any generic USB 2.0 and FW card will work under OS X on the Lombard. These cards usually cost less than $30, there are combo USB/FW cards as well, but they're a lot more. Even the generic PCMCIA cards I've come across have a Mac OS logo on them if you're still unsure of they're compatibility.

It runs well as a basic OS X machine - Office, net and other programs run really well. It is however let down by a slow bus speed and a slow 8MB PCI ATI graphics chipset - if you're planning on a lot of iPhoto duties, the Lombard will choke badly. But I still love the Lombard - it's built well and performs well for the price.

JB

chocho
6th January 2006, 07:58 AM
thanks so much for the info! seems like i'll be busy doing a little upgrade on this pb, part of the fun really!

cheers

:)

Byrd
6th January 2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by chocho@Jan 6 2006, 08:58 AM
thanks so much for the info! seems like i'll be busy doing a little upgrade on this pb, part of the fun really!
It really was great fun upgrading mine - and amazing to see such an old PB coping so well with OS X. My parents use a Wallstreet PB which has also been given the once over by myself, and even at 300Mhz it's still a corker :thumbup:

JB

applecollector
6th January 2006, 12:00 PM
I still love my near new Powerbook 266Mhz with 192Mb Ram Cd Drive & Floppy Drive & New Battery running os x 10.1.3 it's an excellent little machine to do all things on.

jeremy_warnock
6th January 2006, 12:42 PM
I was looking to return to uni this - my sister has two very similar machines in her hock shop, I was thinking of buying one. Do they handle panther and wireless ok?? Wireless is a must course it will be a uni machine.

usual place for ram and hdd upgrages i take it? streetwise etc??

jeremy_warnock
6th January 2006, 01:15 PM
Sorry was misinformed its a clamshell ibook 333Mhz

I can have it for $40 still in working order, is it still worth a cheap upgrade???

Byrd
7th January 2006, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by jeremy_warnock@Jan 6 2006, 02:15 PM
Sorry was misinformed its a clamshell ibook 333Mhz

I can have it for $40 still in working order, is it still worth a cheap upgrade???
Yes, that's a real bargain - go get it :)

Clamshells are even nicer machines for running OS X. They are a bit clunky when compared to sleek Lombards and Pismo PBs but I love them - and video performance is surprisingly smooth under OS X due to AGP ATI graphics. The main issue is that it'll probably have a 3GB HD if it's an original 300Mhz model, and upgrading the hard disk is a real pain.

But anyhow, bump up the RAM with a 512MB stick, and install an Airport card under the keyboard, and you're set!

JB

jeremy_warnock
7th January 2006, 12:10 PM
Thanks JB

I have since spoken with my sister - she is not very computer wise and was confused, she bought an orginal imac for $40 which I can have for the price. The clamshell though is the orginal clmashell 300Mhz but they bought it for $250. So by the time I add a usb wireless adapter, Panther, 512 Megs, I'm sure I have a 20 gig hdd at work laying around it will be up around the $600 - thats a big chunk out of a new 12in ibook - and who nows they might be cheaper with intel hardware as well - i wounder what monday's keynote will bring

thanks again