PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Gen iPod Problems

hawker
30th August 2004, 08:03 AM
Hi All,

As some of you may have read, I put my 3rd Gen 40GB iPod in under warranty, because the battery was only lasting about three hours. They replaced it, and now the new iPod is only lasting about two and a half hours. I have sent an e-mail to the IT person who worked on my iPod to see what they think.

I thought it might be the power source. But the power point has powered many things before it, including my powerbook. I don't know as yet. But I was just wondering if anyone else had had problems with this type of iPod or had heard of other people having battery problems?

cheers,

jobe
31st August 2004, 10:22 PM
try this (I found it worked for my 3g ipod). Plug it into the wall socket and let it charge. When it says "charged". Unplug it and leave it for a while then plug it back in and let it charge again until it says "charged".

I have no idea why but the batter indicator on my 3g ipod is very eratic and does not accuratly represent the battery state.

I think the battery get's fatigued quickly under high load. Like I'll copy a few GBs of data from/to my ipod through USB2.0 and by the end the battery indicator will be almost empty (usb2.0 doesn't charge 3g ipods). Leave it for a few minutes and it will show full or near full again... strange.

My theory is that a similar thing happens when charging. Kinda like the opposite.

yinyang
31st August 2004, 11:12 PM
hawker,

there is a standard battery test that you can perform - charge it up to full, select shuffle for your entire library and play, with no backlight, medium volume and see how long the battery lasts. on 128 aac it should go from 6-8 hours. if not then you can either update the iPod software (or maybe just restore) to see if that helps, otherwise give it back to apple and tell them you've run the test and want a new battery put in. the battery is supposed to be good for 300-500 full cycle charges.

jobe,

the iPod software is notorious for not showing accurate battery meter readings, but was supposed to have got better with v2.2 - the battery meter starting again if you re-plug it in after completely charging is only showing the trickle feed. have you tried fw to download tunes instead of usb2?

hope that helps you both!!

jobe
31st August 2004, 11:18 PM
yeah I use fw on the ibook. but at uni or on the pc only have usb2.0. Kinda sucks that I cannot charge 3gs from usb.

hawker
1st September 2004, 09:47 PM
Hi Guys,

Did all the tests on it, and I deemed it as stuffed. taken it back today. Being looked at... They will repalce it again no doubt. I called Apple customer service trying to get a new iPod instead of just a replacment, the woman was most unhelpful and I just about went insane at her.... I guess spending over $20,000 with Apple in five years (and talking so many people into "switching") means nothing!

We'll see what happens in when I get the tech tests back.

Thanks for the help!