PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 VM

ubuntujoe
8th November 2012, 04:43 PM
Well here's a question, Has anyone managed to upgrade a Windows7 VM (Virtual Box) to Windows8 and
been able to activate it? Or even created a new VM and activated it?
If so please share, I'm a curious sort and my Windows7 works fine some why ????? is Windows 8 soooo difficult.

I've got as far as a new VM that won't let me activate it with my Upgrade Key, but of course I cannot download a full license yet mmm.

Anyway
Thanks in advance
Joe

Peter Wells
8th November 2012, 09:22 PM
Sorry mate, working fine in a VM here...

samuelowens
8th November 2012, 09:43 PM
If you're using an Upgrade version, have you tried doing a registry hack to activate:

1. Run the registry editor (regedit)
2. Find the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Setup\OOBE
3. Change the value for 'MediaBootInstall' from 1 to 0
4. Open an elevated command prompt (run as admin)
5. Run the following command: slmgr -rearm
6. Reboot

ubuntujoe
9th November 2012, 05:03 PM
Hi All
Well finally got it activeted after 3 calls to Microsoft support, who I have to say were quite helpful.
I'm still not sure why I couldn't get my Windows 7 VM to upgrade, but then again I have working Windows 8 VM now. Guess what , so far, it's not a patch on Mountain Lion. Seem like just too many hoops to jump through to use the calendar and the this and the that. See, like an all or nothing option with the Microsoft ecosystem. But I'm still learning, maybe it's one of those acquired tastes :-)