PDA

View Full Version : Strange 'pitting' on my retina 15" MBP

chris
7th November 2012, 10:40 PM
I just started to notice some small dots on the top surface of my 15" Retina MBP today - they are very slightly indented into the metal like rust pitting - but without the rust colour of course. There are about 15 of them on the outside and one on the palm rest. They are a slightly lighter silver than the surface colour.

I took it in to the genius bar today and they initially said that it looked like a dent on the palm rest but I showed him how it matched the ones on the top surface (I always keep the laptop in a protected pocket in a crumpler backpack. About 5 of them got around the laptop and started to discuss it. End result is that they are replacing the LCD clamshell and the case assembley (including battery) under warranty. The invoice says a total of $1272 cost (no charge to me of course as the laptop is only four and a half months old).

The LCD is $777, the case with battery is $456 and the labour is $39. Do you think these are at their cost or what you would be charged if there was no warranty - labour cost seems low.

Do any others of you have the dots on the metal?

mjankor
8th November 2012, 06:50 AM
Have you had coke near your machine?

All I can think of right now.

mjankor
8th November 2012, 06:52 AM
As for labour cost, I wouldn't be surprised if they just moved your hard drive to a new machine.

TheKeddi
8th November 2012, 06:55 AM
As for labour cost, I wouldn't be surprised if they just moved your hard drive to a new machine.

That would be the wisest and most cost effective move I would think?

tcn33
8th November 2012, 09:19 AM
Are they speed holes? :D

chris
8th November 2012, 02:50 PM
Are they speed holes? :D

That's good :) and no coke either. The guys in the store were non plussed.

I don't think they swapped the hard drives as the bottom of the laptop has a small mark (not the pitting) and that part wasn't replaced.