PDA

View Full Version : No DVDs - how to create recovery for OS X 10.6.8 Macbook pro 2010

steenr
5th November 2012, 02:04 AM
Hi!
I'm about to sell my old Mackbook pro 2010 with OS X 10.6.8 - but I have lost the original DVD's. I have tried the "CMD R" during reboot, but I only get the normal sign in. Checked using terminal app entering "diskutil list" who shows no Recovery application partition available. Found out that internet recovery only available from OS X 10.7 and forth.

Question how can I make a recovery to factory settings? Can I create 10.6.8 recovery partition on my Harddrive? or can I upgrade to OS X 10.7 / 10.8 and then create a recovery partition from internet and will that demand a microcode upgrade of my Macbook?

Regards
SteenR

Lorenz
5th November 2012, 08:16 AM
Upgrade to 10.7/10.8 and make a bootable USB from the installer file.

harryb2448
5th November 2012, 08:21 AM
As you can see you need the SL DVD.

Mac 101: Building a bootable diagnostic and repair flash drive | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (http://www.tuaw.com/2009/12/02/mac-101-building-a-bootable-diagnostic-and-repair-flash-drive/)

Phildo
6th November 2012, 05:58 PM
Question how can I make a recovery to factory settings?

If you are trying to delete your stuff and settings, then just create a new user, and secure delete the old one.

With OS DVDs, I always make a copy of the original and then keep the original in the box, never to be touched again (until I sell the Mac).

I also keep an image of the OS X DVD on a hard drive, so that I can burn a copy if I need to some time. Or, image it to a hard drive or SSD for faster installation.